Showers

kellycraig125

Mar 12, 2015
Alabama
Parrots
I have a 6 month old female Eclectus named Lucy
How often do you all give your ekkie's baths or showers? My girl Lucy LOVES the shower....she would take one every day if I let her. As it stands now, we do about every other day. It seems if we go more than that, she does look a bit messy and such (she's a seriously messy eater). Is that sufficient? Too much, too little? Thanks!

Like you, I shower my ekkies every other day. It gets the job done and leaves them with a nice, healthy sheen.

my ekkie absolutely hates showers and as such he usually only gets showered once a week because it is such a mission. But I do have a spray bottle and spray her a little every second day.

Beginner question: If my ekkie hates baths/showers, should I bathe him once a week anyway? We just adopted a 10 month old ekkie almost 2 weeks ago now. The avian vet said he desperately needed a bath. We've tried, but he really doesn't like it at all.

So today, I warmed up the bathroom, put a little warm water in the tub, put him on his shower perch at the bottom of the tub, and bathed him (basically just scooped the water in my hands and poured it on him all over from the neck down, and I worked his head and neck with wet hands). Then we blew him dry. He's so soft now! He was kind of greasy feeling before. Should I just continue to do this once a week? More or less often?

At least once a week.

MamaHen, yes, once a week is the absolute MINIMUM for an Eclectus, more frequently would definitely be better though. There's really no need for blow drying either. They may look to shiver after a bath, but the shivering motion actually helps them dry up quicker. Blow drying will possibly result in dry skin.

You could build a shower perch (easiest thing in the world, here's the link, pics are on the last or second to last page)
http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/27017-diy-shower-perch-very-easy.html

MamaHen, yes, once a week is the absolute MINIMUM for an Eclectus, more frequently would definitely be better though. There's really no need for blow drying either. They may look to shiver after a bath, but the shivering motion actually helps them dry up quicker. Blow drying will possibly result in dry skin.

You could build a shower perch (easiest thing in the world, here's the link, pics are on the last or second to last page)
http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/27017-diy-shower-perch-very-easy.html
Wendy - I can't see the pics anymore. I would like to build a shower perch...I gave mine away last year...to someone who needed it.

Here you go: (They're on the last page on that thread since I had closed another photo sharing account)

Ok, thanks so much for the info. Hopefully he'll warm up to the baths. I do have a shower perch, but the vet told me not to use it yet because Echo has no tail (vet said it looked like it had possibly been pulled out because all the feathers are growing in together) and an awful wing clip. He has no balance at the moment. Poor baby. :(

I shower Oliver twice a week and he totally loves it. I tried a shower perch but it never seemed to stay put so on my finger he goes. I take my shower first then it's his turn. We sing and talk and laugh. He's so happy doing all kinds of crazy gyrations making sure every part of him gets wet. After, he is busy for hours fixing his feathers. All good!

Hi new to this, from what age can you start to introduce them to showers ? or baths

thank for help

Most Reactions

Back