Should I get a Hahn's Macaw or a Conure?

SMBarclay

Jun 16, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Parrots
Deciding...
I can't decide whether or not to get a Hahn's Macaw or a Conure. No matter which one I would get, I would get it as a baby so I can bond with it. I have two young children, so which of the species would be more tolerant of young children (with proper training for both parties of course)? My kids are hyper, active, love running from room to room, and are fricken NOISY! So I would need a bird that would be tolerant of the activity and noise without getting scared or overwhelmed. Thoughts??:green2::orange:

What interests you about parrots? Why are you in the market for one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My conure is bigger than a hahns macaw.... so uhm... can't necessarily say that a hahns is "more stocky" than a conure! LOL

Either could make a great pet! You might want to look for rescues and sanctuaries in your area and go and meet several birds! It'll help you get a better feel for the various species!

There's at least two in your area. Here's one.

Gilcrease Nature Sanctuary

This one actually has a hahns up for adoption!

Home

Some birds don't do well around young children - they move so fast and their unpredictability can really freak out a bird, lol. Once they reach maturity, they will need their boundaries respected and if not respected, they can and wil bite. How about a dog for a very lively family as yours? Is there a reason you like the Hahn's specifically, or is there a species of conure you are drawn to?

Last edited:
I was going to also ask for a bit more information on why you are thinking of getting a pet parrot, and why you narrowed your choices down to either a Hahn's Macaw or some species of Conure, and also WHAT SPECIES OF CONURE you have narrowed it down to, as there are great differences between some of the Conure species, and there are also many different Conure species...For example, if you had said a "Green Cheek Conure", then that is very different than say a Patagonian Conure or a Blue-Crowned Conure...

Also, what is your living situation as far as a house, an apartment, etc.? Again, this is a huge question that is going to be dependent on WHAT SPECIES OF CONURE you're thinking of getting, as their volume-levels and their typical amounts of noise are all very different...For example, if you live in an apartment or townhouse and you have neighbors on the other side of the walls, a Sun Conure is probably not a good choice for you, as they tend to be the loudest, noisiest species of not only Conure, but of parrots in-general...You did mention not wanting a parrot who "screams" a lot, so I would eliminate a Sun Conure from the list of Conure species....

That being said, you must remember that even though a Hahn's Macaw is a "mini-macaw" as far as their size goes, they are still Macaws through-and-through, and they don't know that they are "mini", lol...I've not ever owned a Hahn's Macaw or known anyone closely who has, but from everything that I've ever read about them and heard owners of them say, Hahn's Macaws, as far as their personalities, behavior, exercise needs, etc. are very much the same as any of the larger Macaw species...

So another question that we need to ask you is "How much time are you going to have, per day, to allow for whatever bird you get to be out of their cage?" Also, "How much time will you have, per day, to directly interact with your bird?"

The mini-macaws have a lot of similarities to conures. They are fairly closely related.

Great points have been made above, based on your lifestyle and living arrangements, but if you are set on one of those species, I wouldn't dwell too much on which species is "better," rather let things fall into place

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back