Shall I give the bird up?

Quakerfinder

Jun 18, 2024
Parrots
Quaker
I recently rescued a quaker parrot that was found on a road. She has been with us for a couple of months now and it's our first time owning a parrot. We have had budgies prior but obviously it's not the same thing. All was fine and well but now my partner and his family who we live with wants me to get rid of the bird. She screams no matter what, sometimes for ages on end. The only thing that silences her is food and its unreasonable to think that we can just fill her up all the time.

I've given her plenty of toys and attention. We put a blanket over her at night which is the only time we get peace and quite. It's starting to cause friction between me and my partner and upset his parents. Thing is the parrot belongs to a charity and I can't just give her back or rehome her when she isn't legally mine. I've mentioned to one of the workers at the charity about the issue but they don't seem to really care or suggest things we have already tried.

I'm reaching out on here as a last hope really. I don't want to give her up but I may have no choice as its negatively impacting everyone around me and causing so much stress. Help!

I've never had a quaker, but they are kind of infamous for constant noise. Sorry you're going through this.

There are things you can do to try to manage noise beyond what you've tried already. Making sure the cage has plenty of destructive toys and toys that are enriching (like foraging toys) can help, as it keeps the bird occupied and distracted. Also, making sure the bird gets enough time outside of the cage to exercise and fly. A bird that is physically tired is less likely to be screaming for social or mental stimulation. Also, rewarding screams with attention or literal food is not a good idea, so don't feed her when she screams, and don't yell back (even to say "shut up.") All members of the household need to understand that the best response to a screaming parrot is to ignore them entirely. Once she quiets down, you should at that point reward her for her silence by letting her out or feeding her... after all, she was screaming to tell you she wants or needs something, so while you shouldn't reward the screaming you also shouldn't shove her in a corner and pretend she doesn't exist, either. Give her what she wants but wait until she's quiet.

All that said, a parrot is a huge responsibility that all household members NEED to be on board for, and if your housemates don't like her then maybe it isn't a fit. Since she isn't even technically yours it may be time to say goodbye.

To clarify, you say that the bird belongs to a charity. Are you fostering? Like the charity is looking for a permanent home and you're keeping the bird in the meantime? If so, every charity needs to understand that fostering is a two way street and both parties need to be able communicative. If you can't foster anymore, tell them that clearly and assertively, and let them know that if one of their staff or volunteers doesn't pick up the bird then you'll be dropping her off at a shelter. It can be a bluff (please don't go dropping her off places without researching first) but they need to know you're serious.

Thank you for rescuing the bird. I hope so much that you find a way to manage the noise and trouble (good advice above; hopefully you'll get more info and support). If not, then yes, you may well have to re-home. You sound like a responsible, humane, caring person who will do a good job of that.

Good luck to you and your noisy little friend.

Location?

May I ask how often the parrot gets out of its cage daily? What are you currently feeding? How often? Do you have quite a few toys for entertainment? Training with a parrot drains their energy. I feel like when I’m teaching my parrots tricks afterwards they need a big nap. When I do flight training with my Jenday conure she gets really tired. She will even put herself back in her cage to rest. Sometimes burning their energy like you would a dog as bad as that sounds really works. When they are tired they don’t scream as much I feel like.

May I ask how often the parrot gets out of its cage daily? What are you currently feeding? How often? Do you have quite a few toys for entertainment? Training with a parrot drains their energy. I feel like when I’m teaching my parrots tricks afterwards they need a big nap. When I do flight training with my Jenday conure she gets really tired. She will even put herself back in her cage to rest. Sometimes burning their energy like you would a dog as bad as that sounds really works. When they are tired they don’t scream as much I feel like.
I must admit to using this technique with my two Amazons.

They WILL be noisy morning/evening. So I let them fly around at that time. It makes the noise a little more controllable and when they go back are much quieter

I recently rescued a quaker parrot that was found on a road. She has been with us for a couple of months now and it's our first time owning a parrot. We have had budgies prior but obviously it's not the same thing. All was fine and well but now my partner and his family who we live with wants me to get rid of the bird. She screams no matter what, sometimes for ages on end. The only thing that silences her is food and its unreasonable to think that we can just fill her up all the time.

I've given her plenty of toys and attention. We put a blanket over her at night which is the only time we get peace and quite. It's starting to cause friction between me and my partner and upset his parents. Thing is the parrot belongs to a charity and I can't just give her back or rehome her when she isn't legally mine. I've mentioned to one of the workers at the charity about the issue but they don't seem to really care or suggest things we have already tried.

I'm reaching out on here as a last hope really. I don't want to give her up but I may have no choice as its negatively impacting everyone around me and causing so much stress. Help!
Found On Road or Owned By a "Charity?", I'm Confused. Either Way, Hopefully The Bird Will Go to a Person Who CAN Take Care of Her or Him & Is Able to Afford The Bird In Every Way. Emotionally, Monetary Wise & Has a Home Situation that Will Be Inviting. Sad the Poor Bird Was Found on a Road in the 1st Place. Maybe She or He Flew Out of a Window? Or Hopefully Not Dumped. Wish The Bird The Best Possible Home. Ty For Reaching Out for the Birds Sake.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back