Senegals.

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
Two parakeets. Kindle and Charlie
I have recentley posted about witch poicephalus would be best for me. I had three responses that really helped me. I have chosen the Senegal parrot. I am asking for responses telling me answers to these questions. 1.What is the minumum cage requirments for thses birds.2. How well do they react wit other birds. 3. How well is there talking ability.4. How easily can they be trained. If there is any other helpful info or tips it would be greatly appreciated. By the way if it helps I am twelve years old.

I have a female senegal and she can say things like my name and hello. She mainly makes really cute noises and loves to mimic sounds rather than words, like the microwave beeping for example. She does not get along with my sun conure. I'm not so sure if this behavior is the same for all senegals. I was able to teach her to lay on her back in my hand and it was pretty easy. She already knew how to step up on my hand before I got her. As far as the size of the cage, I don't know the dimensions, but I am sure that the cage I have is plenty big for her. You can always look up the size online somewhere. I hope this helps. Good luck with your new companion! Have you figured out a name or the sex yet?

I have not yet because it will not be for a while but right now I do not care what sex. I am going to start coming up with name in a few days.

i also have a sennie named Marnie.
she is a one person bird and will bite anyone else.
she says "Marnie, pretty birdie, whatcha doing, huh?," and whistles.
she does a very good sparrow! and used to copy my Indian Ringnecks
her cage is approx 24X20X33 and is plenty big for her.
Senegals don't need a lot of room.
she does NOT like other birds!

she is comical and so cute! she loves to be petted and rolls on her back for me. she does have a temper and can be very territorial with her cage.
she actually growls at me sometimes!

good choice parrot choise though as she is not noisy compared to most of them.

Thanks Marnie. I was wandering do you know if it is common for senegals to be territorial or just some. Thanks for your info.

The cage I have my Senegal in is perfect for him size. It's 28" tall X 18" deep X 22" wide. He has plenty of room to move around. I attached a picture of it.

Tiki is 11 months only and says the following " Tiki's a pretty bird, hello Tiki, whata doin, Tiki." He also loves to whistle. I can't take edit for the verbal speak because I have only had Tiki for 2 1/2 weeks. This was the work of the previous owners.

Tiki is a little teritorial of his cage and doesn't like to be messed with while in his cage. The previo0us owners would wait until he comes out to play before they would handle him.

BUt from what I have read, Senegals aren't the best talkers. They usually can say a few phrases, but it's not very clear. This is what Tiki does, it's a little garbled.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back