Senegals as family pets

Bellalaross

Jun 26, 2012
Hi all
I would just like some advice from owners of these beautiful birds.
Firstly I have kept parrots before, a Senegal (although this was when I was younger) and African grey.
I would like other owners experience on whether you feel a Senegal would be the right bird for our household.
I'm a full time mum, at home all day while my husband works. Our household is busy, we have 2 dogs, 2 cats and our children of course (all animal friendly).
Any info would be greatly appreciated

I'm sure some other senegal owning member will come along, they can give you better advice, i dont own one but this is what I've heard: senegals do have tendencies to be one person birds, and some are a little nippy. They are very lovable, funny, playful, and some say they're quiet. As far as family pets go, it depends on the bird and how well you socialize it, but they have a tendency to be one person birds. for a family pet, maybe a conure or cockatiel would be better JMHO. good luck with whatever you choose :D!

If you're looking into senegals, I'd recommend a Meyers as a 'family' bird, they're more laid back than senegals, less likely to be nippy, more forgiving and less likely to be 'one person' birds. :)

I'd love a Meyers, but wouldn't trade my sennie in. Took me ages to decide which to get out of the two.

I agree with Mayday, but my Senegal isn't what I would call a one person bird. She adores my wife, but tolerates me as well. My bird is not quiet, some days, she could make a nun cuss. She can be quite nippy. Just from what I have read, my own experiences as well as a couple others that I know, I have come to the conclusion that Senegals have a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde personality. One minute they can be very sweet, giving you kisses and snuggling with you and then the very next minute, they reach around and bite you. Now, this is tame senegals I'm referring to.

They are very comical and are constantly moving. They have this never ending bundle of energy.

But I love our little Sennie and wouldn't take a buck and a quarter for her.

I would also like to add that Senegals like to be the only bird in the house. If you get another bird, make no mistake, the Sennie will get jealous. My Senegal will nail me to the bone with her beak if I don't allow at least 10-15 minutes in between handling my Eclectus before I handle her. It took me awhile to remember that and even now, I will forget on rare occassions. She will remind me of it and I don't mean in that little nippy pinchy warning nip. I mean in a vicious attack, like she wants to bite my finger off. Don't let that small size fool you, they can and will give nasty bites that can hit bone.

Last edited:
I would also like to add here, since you have a family, make sure and get a hand fed baby preferrably from a reputable breeder no matter which bird you decide on. The bird will come more readily adjusted and socialized and will probably fit in with your family much better than a rescue or an adult bird.

I had a sennie a few years back that I unfortunately had to rehome..He was very friendly to me but for some reason was deathly afraid of another member of the household..He would fling himself off the perch and crash into the cage bars. It became so bad I had to find him a home just so he wouldn't get injured on a daily basis. He was a young hand-fed bird approx. 8 months old when I got him. They are good birds but I feel they would do better in a quiet household with them being the only bird or pet. I think a hand-fed conure would work out better for you.

I have had two Senegals and they are polar opposites in behavior and temperament.

Kelly, who I lost several years ago, was a very calm and quiet bird. She would go to and love on anyone that came near although I was her preferred companion. She never bit anyone and was a very gentle soul.

Sidney on the other hand is an energetic and single person bird. Anyone but me comes near and there could be (and has been) blood. He sometimes gets nippy with me as well and has to have some time in his cage occasionally. And he does NOT like sharing space with my conures. As much as I know of his history he has lost two previous homes because of his attitude. One he was at for only 6 months.

I think that Sid is more or less the norm for the species. I had a good talk with my vet and one of her technicians about Senegals when I took him up for his initial vet check. Their general opinion was that Senegals are "very full of themselves". Especially the males. I really love em but they might not be the best choice for a family bird. Though of course every bird is an individual. I'm sure that there are others like Kelly out there.

I find mine to be quite moody, espicially with a lot of activity going on in the house. Meyers do have a reputation for being more mellow, so I would look in to that first. Kids also have a tendency to want to be loved by the bird, but as we all know, we can't force them. Most children I have over at my house, no matter what the age, are too insistent on keeping the bird on their person, and this ends in bites or growling and fleeing. If you think you can offer a calm environment and quiet cuddle time I would definitely get a bird, but if all social time spent with the bird is in a high energy environment, I would wait.

Thank you for your replies, it is such a great help hearing from other owners! The parrot i am considering will be a hand reared baby, i have found some baby sennies ready in 2 weeks from a reputable breeder :) The senegal would be kept in our dining room, which isn't a very busy part of our house apart from when we have tea and my children are painting etc ;)
The baby sennie would have one to one time with me on an evening, when it's quiet and i'm watching tv lol. he/she would also be out and about with me when i'm doing my housework, although i can't see that i would get a lot done lol :)

Thank you for your replies, it is such a great help hearing from other owners! The parrot i am considering will be a hand reared baby, i have found some baby sennies ready in 2 weeks from a reputable breeder :) The senegal would be kept in our dining room, which isn't a very busy part of our house apart from when we have tea and my children are painting etc ;)
The baby sennie would have one to one time with me on an evening, when it's quiet and i'm watching tv lol. he/she would also be out and about with me when i'm doing my housework, although i can't see that i would get a lot done lol :)

That's great, you will also need to make sure that others in the house spend a certain amount of quality time with the bird as well to continue it's socialization. If you can go to the breeders with your children and interact with the birds first to see which seems to get along with everyone and isn't standoffish, that would be a big help.

I think most of us have second or third homed Sennie's, which I'm sure their attitudes had a lot to do with them being rehomed. I could nor would I ever rehome a pet due to it's personality whether it be good, bad or indifferent. To me, that is something you need to deal with and accept, just like a child.

After doing a lot of research, i have put a deposit down on a 10 week old baby, ready in 3 weeks. I'm going to take your advise and bring my children with me to meet our 'new addition', see which one takes to us the best and vice versa.
I'm going to so******e our baby as much as possible, especially with my children. All under supervision of course.
THANKS SOOO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP :-D

After a lot of research, we have decided not to buy a senegal now. We are going to look in the direction of an african grey, as altogether we have more experience with greys.

Good luck in your search. Hope you find the right birdie for the family.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back