Senegal Diet

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'm looking for suggestions for commercial made foods that would be good for my sennie, Sammie. I know of all the good fresh foods, but I'd also like some commercial mixes that are healthy.

I order a lot from My Safe Bird Store, so if that helps for options.

My vet has recommended Zupreem for our senegal for a commercial food to add to her diet in addition to fresh stuff. However, if she/he is anything like mine, she will only pick out certain flavors and leave the rest!

I'm not a fan of all pellets during the day. I do offer the zupreem pellets with a seed mic she was weaned on, but I'd like to offer something healthier.

My dilemma is that I leave the house at 515am and get home around 430pm so I don't want to leave fresh in her cage all day to spoil.

Why not provide fresh food once you get home? That way, you don't need to worry about spoilage. :)

A lot of people like those cook and serve things... I've made them occasionally, but I usually stick to fresh.

I do offer the fresh veggies and fruits when I get home. I'm just trying to find healthier alternatives for the day time.

I'm not a fan of pellets either. Mac would eat a few, but Tiki would never touch them. I'm a believer in trying to keep their diets as close to the real thing as I can.

Or you could also try the dehydrated foods that way theres no spoilage and it lasts longer, mine won't touch bananas or strawberries fresh but loves em dehydrated, but he'll never turn down a green grape loves those

Or you could also try the dehydrated foods that way theres no spoilage and it lasts longer, mine won't touch bananas or strawberries fresh but loves em dehydrated, but he'll never turn down a green grape loves those

Funny you should say that. I was just telling my partner I'd like to invest in a dehydrator.

I use the no color added pellets in one dish and a small amount of mixed dried fruits, vegies and pumpkin seeds in another. This way he can get a mix, the pellets as a base food and then he can pick thru the others to find what he wants thru out the day. When we have all settled in for the eve I give him fresh foods. I figure this is a good variety and I also don't have to leave fresh stuff rotting all day.

For the pellets I use a mix of Zupreem natural and Roudybush. Jellybean seems to prefer the little ball shaped pellets but is slowly taking to Roudybush too.

Mysafebirdstore has several good dried mix foods. Its really a matter of figuring out what your bird will eat. Mine doesn't like banana, so a mix with lots of banana is out. They are supposed to not use sulfur so you should be set ordering from them. I like Higgins fruit and stix from my local store too. I have a chewer and he loves cinnamon sticks. I like most of the Higgins brand snacks.

I feed Harrison's and supplement with fresh fruit veggies as well as a soak and serve food. She also eats just about everything I am eating too. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back