Scam?

madlou52

Jul 16, 2015
southeast MI
Parrots
Amazon
Photos appear to come from another individual's Flickr account.

"Hi,
this is Kate and Jason Davis, We own the hyacinth macaw parrot that is up for adoption. My hubby Jason Davis is 30 years business man and i am 28 years old and I can barely talk because I had a growth on my tongue and more than half of my tongue was chopped off.
We just got married and decided to settle down here in Baltimore Maryland. We came here for our honeymoon where we have felt in love with the city and decided to stay here and do our business. This my baby
(Blue) is a Hyacinth Macaw parrot, DNA sexed. She is 20 months old and has been hand fed and raised and trained to be a “PR”
parrot. What I mean by this is that she was raised and trained to be in the public, and handled by the public. She has featured in many photo shoots, and has been used for educational programs, nursing homes, exhibition shows, and much more. I raised her to be comfortable in the “public eye”. Due to her extensive training, she's very social and very friendly. She has a wonderful comical personality typical of hyacinth macaws. She's quite the goof when you get to know her. she has none of the bad habits associated with most parrots. she has been well trained and will do well in just about any home where she will get constant attention. She is also very friendly with other house pets and other birds too.
My reason for giving this precious baby away is because our doctor advised me to give her away since I am pregnant for my first child and seems to have some complications which requires too much resting time.
Also, I now live with my husband who is so allergic to birds.
It hurts to let her go but i don't seem to have a choice here Says the doctor. So i have decided to give her away to any good and loving home just for a small adoption fee. We are requiring an adoption fee of
$400 for her. Shipping and delivery charges are included in the $400 if you are not located around. I just want the best home for Blue, so i really do not care where you are located. There are experts that can ship and deliver her to you right at your door stairs without her going through any stress. We are currently located in Baltimore Maryland. Please i will need you to tell me a little about yourself and your home. Also, where exactly are you located? Hope a prompt response.":confused:

Absolutely IS A SCAM!

First of all, only 20 months old?! And all that training?! While not impossible, highly unlikely... (Hy's take a long time to wean you know.)

Secondly, at 20 months old, this bird is so young, that, why would you take about a $10,000 LOSS trying to place him?!

Third, it's someone else's picture.

With Apologies to Monty Python: SCAM, SCAM, SCAM, SCAM....

Last edited:
20 Months
Less than two years.
So met, engaged, and married in less than two years.
I know it's possible, but another red flag.

(Feels like one of those Dr. Phil Nigerian Lover Scam episodes - but didn't realise it could happen with birds!)

Tell you what. I'm about an hour away from Baltimore. I would be glad to go and pick it up for you. :D You make the deal and I'll do the deed.

Without a doubt this is a scam.

Shipping and delivery charges are included in the $400 <--LMAO at that part!

Unfortunately I'm willing to bet some poor victims will fall for this - AGAIN.

You'd be better off saving the $380 and getting one of these:

710iEOQxZmL._SY355_.jpg

At least you'd actually receive a "bird" in the mail, unlike this scam post where you'd just be out the full $400.

If you are interested in a parrot, either go through a reputable breeder (if shipping will be required) OR buy/adopt locally, where you can meet the bird and pick him/her up in person.

Frankly, though, you're IQ has to hover at below room temperature to fall for something like this these days...

YOU MEAN IT WASN'T TRUE?!

Here's the deal folks, if it has a picture of a black palm or a hy in it, and the price is under $8,500.00... there's your clue!

Doesn't happen.

People don't put Hys on Craigslist. Hy owners know each other. It's a small community. And if they do have to give up their birds, they can generally place them through their breeder... who usually has a long waiting list.

I'm just sayin'

Here's the deal folks, if it has a picture of a black palm or a hy in it, and the price is under $8,500.00... there's your clue!

Doesn't happen.

Even shows how stupid the scammer is....if he had a $ amount closer to the real value, or used a species less likely to raise flags he/she would have higher chance of getting someone to fall for it...

No one's gonna wire him $8,500 for a bird they've never seen.

They only do that for, this guy doesn't know what he's got! I better act fast before someone else snags him!

I've seen scam adds for as much as $5,000.00

STILL OBVIOUS!

Frankly, though, you're IQ has to hover at below room temperature to fall for something like this these days...

Doesn't happen.

People don't put Hys on Craigslist. Hy owners know each other. It's a small community. And if they do have to give up their birds, they can generally place them through their breeder... who usually has a long waiting list.

I'm just sayin'
Now, hey! You are being unfair!! I just ran into some really nice folks that just because of our antiquated immigration laws, couldn't cash a winning 100k lottery ticket. Long story short, they sold it to me for only 5k!! Yes, very wrong of me to take advantage of their situation, but the way I look at it, I plan to do a lot of good with my windfall!! Tho, I really wished I could understand Spanish. When I told them I would wire the money as soon as they got home, by the obvious body language, I know I missed something! Go figure!!

Re: Scam? Got it in email yesterday from Craigslist.

Hi,
** :confused::confused:this is Kate Davis. We own the hyacinth macaw parrot that is up for
adoption. My hubby Jason Davis is 36 years business man and i am 29
years old nurse and i can barely talk because I had a growth on my
tongue and more than half of my tongue was chopped off. We are
residing in Baltimore Maryland. This my baby (Blue) is a Hyacinth
Macaw parrot, DNA sexed. She is 26 months old and has been hand fed
and raised and trained to be a “PR” parrot. What I mean by this is
that she was raised and trained to be in the public, and handled by
the public. She has featured in many photo shoots, and has been used
for educational programs, nursing homes, exhibition shows, and much
more. We raised her to be comfortable in the “public eye”. Due to her
extensive training, she's very social and very friendly to everyone
and to other animals. She has a wonderful comical personality typical
of hyacinth macaws. She's quite the goof when you get to know her. she
has none of the bad habits associated with most parrots. She has been
well trained and will do well in just about any home where she will
get constant attention.
*** My reason for giving this precious baby away is because we are
moving to Australia. My hubby is Australian and has decided to go back
and join his family. We cannot take her along with us due to the
strict quarantine laws Australia has on the importation of animals. It
really hurts to give her away but I really do not have another option.
That is why I just want the best home for her. So i have decided to
give her away to any good and loving home just for a small adoption
fee. We are requiring an adoption fee of $500 for her. Shipping and
delivery charges are included in the $500 if you are not located
around. I just want the best home for Blue, so
I really do not care where you are located. There are experts that can
ship and deliver her to you right at your door stairs without her
going through any stress. We are currently located in Baltimore
Maryland. Please I will need you to tell me a little about yourself
and your home, is your home smoke free? Also, where exactly are you
located?* See pictures of her in the attachment. Hope a prompt
response.

Yeah, if it sounds too good to be true, well then...not only is it a rare, expensive bird being given away for basically free, but it is also the ultimate best bird I have ever heard of with respect to training, socialization, etc. Can I wire the $400 through Western Union;) lol. If only!

Sergei, this is a TYPICAL scam write up. You get a sob story in an attempt to make their plea (to scam folks out of money) believable.

100% SCAM!!! Do NOT fall for it.

Gotta be careful. When we were searching for our GW we came across soooo many of these. The tougher ones to detect were the ads that posted prices that were “more realistic”...just a little bit under but not so much that it would scream SCAM! Found out soon enough that the pictures in one ad were taken from different sources (one was a still from a video of a breeder down in Florida) and the other came from another source. Two pictures of two different birds. I found these pictures when I Googled GW images and was able to trace them back to their respective sources. Glad I did the search first.

Lol. I've communicated with the people from the emails above multiple times. They stopped emailing me after I said "no kidding! I have family that lives 30 minutes from you! When can I come see her?!" Lol. I hate the scams and ideas behind them, but sometimes I do mess with them and lead them on.

Most of the macaw CL adds in my area are scams. They will be posted in multiple cities, have different photos, incorrect number of macaws, and wrong information. Oh and they will have an area code from across the country.

Most Reactions

Back