Safe non-stick frying pan

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
Hello all! I have a set of stainless steel pots and pans that we got when we threw out our non-stick stuff. Well..I'm sure you all know how difficult it is to make good pancakes in stainless steel pans >.<

Anyone know any good non-stick pans that are safe for birds?

Thank you much

I got rid of all my teflon as well when I got Skittles.

I know stainless steel & cast iron are safe around birds.

I bought a set of Cuisineart cookware. It is hard to find non-stick cookware that isn't coated - unless you pay a chunk of money.

What I do is clean my pots/pans with Cameo Stainless steel cleaner (or you can use vinegar and baking soda) and then just use an aerosol non-stick spray - such as Pam or Smart Balance (I use the latter). You can also use plain oil or butter.

The Cameo cleaner removes all the residue that builds up on pans/pots making them much more likely to stick. I find that buy using that cleaner, I don't have to use as much butter or spray. You can find Cameo at Walmart. Or just use the vinegar & baking soda (though, IMO, are not quite as effective)

I have a set of hard Anodized pans..... They are amazing and non stick! They have them from like 30 and up per pan or sets for 200$ and up. Good deal if you ask me :)

Hard Anodized Cookware vs. Non-stick cookware | The-Cookingpot.com
That is the best description I can find of them and they are comparing them to standard non stick sets.

Completely bird safe! I researched that till I was crazy and asked a few vets!

I also threw out all my non stick pans. I just use stainless steel pans, and clean up can get pretty annoying when it comes to fried foods. I just soak in warm water and soap for a good while before tackling it.

I have not heard to Anodized pans. Sounds interesting! Has it been in the market for a while? Hope to hear from more of you who use it.

When I first got Georgie I bought one really nice hard anodized pan. This was my general use pan but I still had some Teflon pots (the Dutch oven, when making soup or chili). I finally got rid of all the unsafe stuff. Anyhow those anodized pans are usually a little pricy but high quality. My stainless set has worked well for me so far. Maybe someday I will upgrade them but for now I am just glad to have them.

I have priced out stainless for way more than my set.

I have had my set for a year or two now, I think two. Anyways I spent maybe $200 or $250 for a 14pc set, then added a matching huge 5qt skillet for $40 just a few weeks ago. My set still looks brand new, oven safe, lifetime guarantee, bottoms have not even though about warping.... Can't say that would be happy with anything else. I do have the cheaper emeril lagasse sets, but this set SAVED my 2 birds from almost certain death ( Nero wasn't here yet)

Let me explain.

Twice a year we have to go 2 hours from home for my daughters black belt testing, this is a three day weekend. My sister always house sits( more like critter sits) . My sister isn't the best cook or the most focused person in the kitchen......-sigh-

She loaded up a pot of water and corn on the cob, set my flattop to high and left the kitchen. She went to lay her 2 year old daughter down for a nap upstairs. Her daughter didn't want to nap, so my sister laid down with her.... Pot still on high, boiled dry, for a very long time. Started to melt ish my pot ( I will have to look for a photo)

Yeah so, I'm sure you know how that went. I promise that pot went well over the 500 degrees where they say Teflon releases it's toxins.... My birds are alive and well, it didn't even phase them in the least bit. Me on the other hand completely freaked out.

I LOVE these pans!

Last edited:
Those anodized pans are incredible - and had I had the money in my budget I would have gotten a set - but they are a LOT of money. So I stuck with stainless steel.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!! Looks like anodized pans it is..well..at least..just ONE for now..for blueberry pancakes..and cheese omelets..you know..priorities… lol (Kiwi gets some too, I promise)

Love you guys!!

QVC has the same ones I have @ $199 for a 12pc set or $29 bucks for a 2pc that includes an 8" and 10" skillet. Just make sure you are getting hard anodized and not hard enamel.

Those prices are pretty cheap for good, lifetime pans. I think a cheap walmart 10" would run $15 on its own.

I agree - 199 for a 12 piece that lasts forever sounds like a pretty good deal. Thanks for the tip on hard anodized..I would not have known that!

You are very welcome, I stumbled upon them and have been very very happy with them... :) and the slick surface makes cooking and cleaning soooooooooo simple!

Or you can get a Camp Chef IV outdoor range and start cooking outside. That's what we did. No more food smell in the house. The kitchen is only for boiling soup or water. Most of our cookware are stainless steel and ceramic coating. That's the way it has always been long before we got Lily. Teflon cookware is not safe for your health when they start chipping. And they chip very fast. My wife's hobby is culinary :) believe it or not! She is constantly dream up new dish. We couldn't deal with the food odor in the house anymore, so I got her the heavy duty Camp Chef IV. Less kitchen cleaning, too.;)

Oh I LOVE outdoor cooking! I grew up with an outdoor (and indoor) kitchen, but pretty much 99% was done outside. No funky food smells in the house…no oil and grease to clean up (well..not much) and lots of fresh air while cooking. Loved it!

Unfortunately where I live now has pretty harsh winters so outdoor cooking is only limited to summers.

Can your wife come and visit sometime? I love to eat, but I can't cook very well LoL

I wish they had that sort of deal on anodized pans when I was replacing mine! The store I went too - they were nearly $120 MORE than the stainless steel. I may have to look into those in the future, should my stainless steel ones ever need replacement.

teflon is definitely a NO! option. It is very dangerous and risky on a health level. There are other materials used for coating nonstick pans that produce far better quality when it's come to performance while securing out health state.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased several "Green Life" brand ceramic non-stick pans from Walmart. They are rather expensive if you buy them single, but they are even better than teflon AND they contain ZERO harmful chemicals.

You can also buy "Greenpan" cookware, which is made of the same materials. In fact, on their website, they specifically mention pet birds. Here's a quote from their FAQ section:

Can I use GreenPans around my pet birds?
Yes, your GreenPan is completely safe to use around all types of furry and feathered friends, including birds! There are no harmful chemicals used in our frypans, or in the non-stick coating, so no toxic fumes can be released when used or accidently overheated. Worry free cooking at its finest.

Green Life doesn't mention pet birds (or animals) in their FAQ section (as far as I could see), but like I said, they are made of the same material, so logic says they are just as safe.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back