Rowdy B&G behavior

burdman

May 8, 2013
Moorpark Ca
Parrots
Eclectus parrot, rescue, Riley 13 yr old, CAG siblings Punkin and Munkin, 5 yr old
We have recently added a young (22 mo. old) B&G, Abi, to our flock.
He is a great bird, well socialized, and very playful.
He likes to be on his back, and if I don't put him on his back he will walk to my chest and lay on his side to coax me into flipping him completely over. Then it's on!! He will keep trying to get me to play with him on his back as long as possible. If I pick him up he'll lean forward and rotate on my finger until he's upside down. It's pretty funny.
Once he's on his back he tends to grab hold of a finger, or any other flesh he can get hold of in his beak. His bite has a lot more pressure than his normal beaking and play nipping.
He's really gotten a good bite going a few times.
Is there a good way to get him to ease up in this scenario?
I fostered a bebe conure (spelling?) for awhile that also loved being on his back, but he never bit.

On an unrelated note, Abi likes to sit on my leg and chew on my jeans. After a couple minutes he starts head bobbing, then regurgitates on my leg.
I know they tend to regurg when they like you lots, but this seems displaced, as he doesn't look at me while he's doing this, and its only on my jeans, not my face or a hand.
Should I be concerned about a possible health issue? He just had a well bird vet visit and got a totally clean bill of health.

It's normal.

They get wound up playing, probably doesn't realize he's being too rough.
Macs play beak to beak, not beak to flesh. So they have to learn how hard is too hard. Use that game to bite pressure train him. When he starts applying too much bite pressure tell him "that's too hard" and stop the game for a second. The game only resumes if he is gentle when he plays...

Communicate to him, and he'll pick it up fairly quickly.

Thanks Birdman. Started working on that last night.
He is too funny. He literally flung himself off the side of his cage onto my lap yesterday. Kind of scary really, as I wasn't prepared for it and almost wasn't able to ease his landing.
I get a little nervous hen he's playing rough that he will tweak his neck or a wing. I've never seen a bird roll around this much.

Any thoughts on the regurgitating?

Thanks Birdman. Started working on that last night.
He is too funny. He literally flung himself off the side of his cage onto my lap yesterday. Kind of scary really, as I wasn't prepared for it and almost wasn't able to ease his landing.
I get a little nervous hen he's playing rough that he will tweak his neck or a wing. I've never seen a bird roll around this much.

Any thoughts on the regurgitating?

I have the same issue here. He will regurgitate on me and a toy. He is polite though if he gets any on my hand he will clean it up . LOL :D

You're lucky actually. Both of mine regurg on me.

Maggie is polite though. She'll start bringing it up, and say:

"It's good! Want some?"

Same thing I do with her when I give her treats. She picked that one up in context.

My red front is my flop over on your lap bird. My greenwing generally prefers to remain upright when she plays. Yeah, people don't get it when I tell them macaws are serious lap birds. The rolling around on your lap stuff is golden. You've got a macaw with a good temperment. Once you get him trained up, you've got a Zoe on your hands...

Most Reactions

Back