right bird for me??

xoaprilox

May 27, 2011
I have two cockatiel that I love, Cleo & Petrie and i'm looking to adopt a different species. I'm trying to decide which species would be god for me, and I think y'all can help me out.

I don't want:

A very large bird
A bird famous for being noisy
A bird known for being agressive.

I wan't

Very cuddly
Playful
Loves people.

Any suggestions based on your experience would be wonderful!

Well if you don't want any of those things, maybe you should get a puppy. I say this because, ALL parrots can be noisy, and all parrots at some point will bite.

I am trying to think, maybe a GCC would be good, but I don't really know the noise level on those little guys.

This person doesn't want LOUD. So most conures are out.

a green cheek isn't really loud. they're quite quiet compared to other parrots. If biting is the issue, then i suggest a fish... but not an oscar, cause those bite...

A duh! Puppies bite, but not like a parrot.:)

I am okay with a little bit of biting and nipping. My tiels do it often and I have many friends with parrots who have bitten me. And I am okay with noise, I am just saying that I don't want a bird that is notorious for either of these things. I know that all birds bite and make lots of noise, don't worry :)

Just do your research and I am sure you will find a parrot that will fit what you want. I have always liked caiques because they are little clowns. I have only met one, and do not know much about them, but that is one thought.

Try a Poicephalus parrot; Senegal, Meyers, Brown head, etc. I have had a Sennie and a Meyers and they are great little birds. I have also had a Nanday Conure and the Pois seem a lot less screechy and tempermental. Good luck!

A Nanday? I had one long, long ago and I could hear her screaming a mile from my house. I think she was just as loud, if not louder than a Sun.

A Nanday? I had one long, long ago and I could hear her screaming a mile from my house. I think she was just as loud, if not louder than a Sun.

I so agree with you on that one!!! I had one long ago too, she's still with my best friend....

Each individual bird can be different like it was mentioned already, all birds can be noisy and can nip. You need to find the bird you want and what noise level you can handle. With that said, GCC and poionus are pretty quiet birds. My Eclectus pair are pretty quiet too, talk more then scream. Screaming is a rare thing with mine. Good luck choosing your bird!

Green Cheek and Black Cap Conures are known for being snuggly and aren't as loud as other Conure species. However, they are known to be a bit nippy.

Poicephalus are known to be quieter, and some are snuggly. Same with Pionus.

If you wanted to go smaller than the Cockatiels, Lovebirds, if raised with a lot of love and attention, are snuggle magnets and definitely aren't that loud. Even when they are, it's not overly nerve grating. My little Gunter I'm sure would be perfectly content snuggled against my chest all day every day. He makes it hard to leave for work in the morning, because he always starts cheeping pitifully when I put him back in his cage.

I've heard that Parrotlets are also very playful, loving, intelligent birds too.

I have a very snuggly Quaker Parakeet, but she's super bossy and sassy too, and can raise the dead on occasion.

Most Reactions

Back