Rescue's for the Hyacinth Macaw ?

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Hello, we have a Eleanora Cockatoo and love her very much and the Too's are one of our favorite species as clowns and good intelligence, but our ultimate is the Hyacinth Macaw. I doubt that we'll ever have one because of the extreme cost, so the only possible way for us to have one is a owner needing to give it away, or a rescue bird. The problem, even with either way, is still the cost. I've seen a old ad asking $750, but at that low price, is it legit or is the bird a basket case. lol

Most are between the lowest price of $2,500 and up to $25,000 !

I'll never give up hope of finding one for a very low price, but do any of you have some ideas ?

I've never seen one at $2500. At that price I would buy it....the price I see are $8000+

The lady i bought my Java tree from had one and was selling the bird, a double macaw cage and the java tree for $6000~ the person that bought it didn't need the cage or tree, so I'm not sure if they got a better deal or not....I got the tree

The lady i bought my Java tree from had one and was selling the bird, a double macaw cage and the java tree for $6000~ the person that bought it didn't need the cage or tree, so I'm not sure if they got a better deal or not....I got the tree
That is an extremely good price for a Hy! (cage & java tree or not)

Average cost for a hyacinth typically falls into the $8k-$15k range... if you see one for sale for under $1k (or even $2k), chances are, it's a scam!

Every now and then they do pop up in rescues and in ads! So if you keep an eye out, it's very possible to find one in need of a home! May take a while, but not impossible! If one isn't available near you, you can always try finding a hyacinth in a different state and see if they are willing to ship, and/or allow you to fly in, if need be, take some classes, then fly home with the bird. Most wont allow this, but you never know! You might get lucky!

I've heard that it costs a minimum of $300 per month for the nuts they require in their diets... not to include toys and other foods. And, with extremely powerful beaks, they have been known to break the welds of powder coated cages! My local parrot store has a pet hyacinth, and I was there when she was bored one day and removed the entire food dish and holder from the cage and it went crashing to the floor! :D I've heard that stainless steal cages are the best cages to house a hyacinth in, and they aren't exactly cheap!

It's a lot of money to put out for one bird, but I'm sure it would be completely worth it in the end for one of these giant blue beauties!

At $6000 with a cage and java tree I would consider it as it is a really good price!

Hmmmm. Scams have a way of looking very realistic and web people can do a fine job like this of promoting any product. I may be old fashioned, but I want to meet anybody face to face making any transaction like that. I know where I can buy a Hy today if I want to and a male is $8,500 and a hen is $10,000. What I don't believe about that ad is "that they have sold 800 Hys in 3 years" I would be doing some checking with the Better Business Bureau. There is far more to Hy ownership than meets the eye. It is certainly not a poor man's bird. They do have specialized diet that requires at least expensive Macadamia nuts and cages that are macaw proof are not necessarily Hyacinth Macaw proof. He is not the Cadillac of macaws, he is the Rolls-Royce of macaws. I met a girl who works for our Jacksonville Zoo that said they just took in a Hy from a man that had a stroke and can no longer care for him, so finding a Hy rescue is not completely impossible. Being at the right place at the right time has possibilities. I make myself and my birds highly visable on a weekly basis showing up wherever people gather to let them take cell phone pics with my birds. I suppose running into someone with a Hy to give is my dream too. Keep looking, and put your name on a card to hang at your city zoo, vets office bulletin board, bird club, and rescue places.

Last edited:
Hyacinth Macaw for Adoption

I also see this website....I wonder if it's a scam.....

If it looks and smells to good to be true...it usually is ;) That site is THE biggest scam.

The "cheapest" I've ever seen a "legit" Hy was for a little over five grand, and that was with a cage. The owner had died, and the son couldn't take care of the bird. Said Hy was a 15 year old hen and came with a stainless King's cage. A GREAT deal - if only I had the money at the time!

And no, they don't cost $300 a month in nuts and toys if you know how to shop and DIY. :D

Hyacinth Macaw for Adoption

I also see this website....I wonder if it's a scam.....
That just defies reason. I can't imagine it's not a scam. They certainly have the custom website down, though ;)

Website registration information:

Domain ID : D165941140-LROR
Domain Name:MYHYACINTHMACAW.ORG
Created On:28-Jun-2012 15 : 01 : 07 UTC
Last Updated On:28-Aug-2012 03 : 49 : 34 UTC
Expiration Date:28-Jun-2013 15 : 01 : 07 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:pDR Ltd. d/b/a PublicDomainRegistry.com (R27-LROR)
Registrant ID:pP-SP-001
Registrant Name : Domain Admin
Registrant Organization:privacyProtect.org
Registrant Street1:ID#10760, PO Box 16
Registrant Street2:Note - All Postal Mails Rejected, visit Privacyprotect.org
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Nobby Beach
Registrant State/Province:
Registrant Postal Code:QLD 4218
Registrant Country:AU
Registrant Phone:+45.36946676
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:

The private registration is provided by an operation called privacyprotect.org (at Privacy Protection). On their site, they provide a contact form for communicating with domain registrants. They also state:

NOTE:
  1. If any domain is engaged in spam, abuse or any illegal / unlawful activity you may report the same.
  2. Please enclose evidence of spam or abuse or the activity in question.
  3. Our abuse team will review the complaint and reveal the actual contact information of the owner where appropriate.

Note: I've included the above information simply for what it may be worth.

I also looked up that website, and sounds kinda fishy to me.
Someone would have to be very,....careful and do a lot of research. A visit would be a must !

A Omaha Ne. rescue had one that was holding it for a friend that was moving, and the owner wanted $8,000. I even see them advertised up to $25,000,....... :eek: which is ridicules ! :rolleyes:

Has there been any in rescues and for how much ?

Please post some pics of Java !

Last edited:
An update on the scam site posted here the other day. It seems to be down now. Maybe someone forced it down legally. We can hope!

"Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.myhyacinthmacaw.org."

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back