Regaining trust with my IRN

JackPhlock

Jul 5, 2024
Parrots
Lutino IRN
I just bought a Lutino IRN. She hasnā€™t even been with us for 10 days. Before I took her home I used to visit her everyday to establish some sort of bond before being her home. It was working! She trusted me, knew my voice, was more active with me.

There were two times, one worse than the other, I had to grab her. One time it was pretty traumatic but only for 5, 10 seconds. Now, sheā€™s taking to everyone but meā€¦ her primary care taker.

She seems really scared of me. Whatever little bond we had started is ruined. Did I screw up the future completely?

So far, Iā€™ve started over and have made very little progress.

Oh dear. I've had a similar problem with my cockatiel, Moon. He refused to step up for me and i needed him out NOW. I had to towel him and now he thinks i'm evil. I've heard clicker training with high reward treats can help re-establish a bond. This is especially true if you use treats that only you give out and nobody else does. Nutriberries (small ones) are good for that, as are almonds or even spray millet.

Keep us updated on your efforts!

With parrots, trust broken is trust hard to regain, but patience will win out. Just make sure you try every day, with IRNs that pretty key. DOnt push it but do try.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back