RE: taking my GCC camping

OneHorseRanch

May 25, 2014
California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure, Sheldon. Hatch date: 7/27/13
RE: taking my GCC camping

Hi All,
I was wondering how safe it would be to take my Sheldon camping? I'm worried about the cold and if there is a way to have a warming system that wont over heat him. Also I'm concerned about the camp fire smoke. Would this not be a good idea. I would love to get him out and about. what are your thoughts. thanks.

Re: taking my GCC camping

I worry about the exact same things with my GCCs and camping. We haven't camped since we got them! I think the only way I would feel comfortable camping with them is if we had an RV.

I know there are people here who have camped with their birds, hopefully they will chime in!

My sister-in-law used to take her cockatiel camping to the beach with her but they were in a tent-trailer. The weather there (Leo Carrillo State Beach, Malibu CA.) is pretty consistent in the summer and it was never a problem.
You pretty much hit on the most pressing concerns :)
I would not take my bird camping if:
1. I did not feel there was security and a 'safe' & 'peaceful' place for the cage.
2. Any drastic temperature changes compared to the season where the birds home is.
3. Definitely no campfire smoke or any other 'fumes' such as propane or smoking.

If you cannot guarantee the above, I would consider boarding or a babysitter just to be safe.

I hope you enjoy your vacation :)

We have a camper. Propane stove, and the smoke from the campfires lingers in the grounds till the winds pick up some. We camp farther up the hill so the nights are cold. I stay home to take care of things around here, but when I do leave or decide I want to camp for a while, I have the neighbor watch him. Was just curious on what everyone else thought. I figured the fumes would put a damper on the bird camping.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back