RAWR! Please help!

HisAngel

Feb 5, 2014
Canada
Parrots
Rosa (9) the wonderful U2 -gotcha day Mar 2, 2014
Grey IRN baby - Coming home July 2015
So, Husband went and picked up the ENORMOUS cage we bought for our future fid. The lady made him dig through the garage to find it, move a bunch of stuff around to get it :rolleyes: and despite assuring me it had been cleaned after her bird used it, it is caked in quite a few spots on the front of the cage with poop. OLD poop. :mad: I'm so annoyed. I asked specifically if she had cleaned it, and it didnt matter if it was dusty, I would be cleaning it anyway, but was concerned about dried on poop. She assured me THREE times she had cleaned it.

Anyway, it was a HUGE steal price wise. It's 5'7 in height, 37 in across and 25 in deep. Its enormous.

I found an earlier thread and it suggested Fc10 or maybe Hibitane... I cannot find it anywhere but amazon, and I am supposed to be bringing a bird home Sunday. :( I am really paranoid about germs and bacteria and stuff passing onto the newbie once he/she arrives.

Is bleach ok? I know vinegar is ok, but will it truly kill anything that could be living on there? :( UGH.. I can probably talk the breeders into holding onto the birds, but both of them are over an hour drive away, and I dont drive. So its a half day lost to go back again to pick up... If I dont have to I'd rather not have to make 2 trips.

Please help me. haha

Boo. :rolleyes:

Do you have a steam cleaner? That should get rid of any nasties lurking around. Failing that, I'd go for bleach but be sure to rinse very well and dry in the sun.

It's viruses you have to be concerned about. Germs and bacteria of course too, but the viruses that are hiding within the parrot community are deadly. Please read up on Psittacine (specific to parrots) viruses. Get a new bird tested no matter where it comes from. Ask a specialty bird store, or better, an avian vet office and ask what they have that kills virus and where to buy. Some vets will sell.

I just called an avian vet and she said to just use bleach and dry really well to be sure it does not have any fumes. She told me it should kill everything I need to worry about. So, Thats my plan for this evening. Power wash, bleach scrub, power wash and then rub dry, and air dry. FX that is all it needs. eekies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back