Quick question.

Casey_and_Tiki

Jul 18, 2012
Hello! This is my first time posting since I am new, (I plan on posting in the introduction section later this evening) and I just had a quick question.

I understand that you have to be VERY cautious with scents and smells when you're around parrots. I like to think that I am cautious enough. I have no glade plug ins, no air fresheners, no candles. I don't use Teflon pans. When I clean anything I go through cautious measures to make sure that not even a particle goes near the room that she is in.

However, I am a candle lover, and my sister and I like to make soy-based candles with natural wood wicks, and light scents from essential oils like Vanilla or Pineapple. They are all natural, and while I would never light the candle in the room while the bird is in here, I'm worried that any residual scent might affect her. I can also use 100% cotton wicks if that would be better, and I can switch to using bee-wax if that would be better then soy. I have seen candles that advertise bird-friendly candles, but I'd rather make it myself so I know if there's anything dangerous in it...

Sorry for such a long post on a simple question! I just really don't want to do anything to harm my bird, but I do miss the scent of candles.

Thanks!

The dangers our lighting candles is the sot that gets in the air when they are extinguished- which is why us incense lovers had to def. give those up with al the smoke they produce. The soy should be fine. I use the candle warmers and have no problem :) Plus I can remelt them and save money and it is still smells just as good :)

Thank you. I thought it was the scent and I gave up my candles. Maybe I'll get a candle warmer.

There are chemicals too that some candles let off that isn't too safe for your bird either, but the fragrance free and soy ones are okay. I completely forgot about the fragrant problem until now. oops, well my bird is okay so far and I've had them for about 2 months now.

Most Reactions

Back