Question About Getting a Second Conure

Jacob1302

Jan 11, 2022
Parrots
Pearly Conure
Iā€™ve had my Pearly Conure, Phil, for 3 years, but recently finished school and have been home less due to work. To ensure Phil isnā€™t alone, Iā€™ve decided to get a second bird. Unfortunately, my local options are quite limited. The only nearby rescue within 150 km is very selective about who they rehome birds to (which I fully support), and they currently donā€™t have any birds they think would be a good fit for Phil.

Iā€™ve been searching on Kijiji and found someone selling Moon Cheek Conure babies, but theyā€™re only 6 weeks old. From what I understand, they should be kept for at least 9 weeks before being rehomed, so Iā€™m concerned about the legitimacy of this breeder.

Is my concern warranted? or am I worried about nothing?

TL;DR: I want to adopt a baby conure, but the birds are only 6 weeks old and Iā€™m worried they might be too young to be rehomed.

I'm no expert, but here's a thread that many have found useful concerning your questions. Good luck!

My Conure is 23yo. He(?), Portland, had an abandoned Cockatiel for a companion for about 6-7yrs. Portland was mean to the Cockatiel at first but then they bonded closely. The Cockatiel died about 2 years ago. I worried about him being alone so I got him a pigeon, Snowflake. They bonded within a few days. When the Snowflake started laying eggs, which they do regularly, Portland became cage aggressive but that has resolved. The Snowflake is dominant. The snuggle and groom each other. We Snowflake gets mad at him, she beats him with her wings and he backs off. They are very cute to watch. In the picture, they are actually in "cateo"-without the cats! They share a regular cage inside. Fancy pigeons are easy to find and cheap.
255537609636890020.jpg

good catch on the age - def wait for an older conure. phil will thank you.

I have 2 GCC which I got at the same time. They have found a close friend in the other. That may leave me out of the picture as a pal but I only have them maybe 4 months so only time will tell if they pal up with me...

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back