Question about essential oil diffusers

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if it would be ok to use an essential oil diffuser on a different floor of the house away from the bird? And if I find one that isn’t so full of chemical fillers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You shouldn't use them. They have medicinal impacts on humans when inhaled (entering the blood stream--that's why some are used for "calming" impacts etc)... The oils also impact birds..not just their respiratory systems either.
The natural stuff is better but still not safe--some are still toxic from a medicinal stance (even when natural) but even something like vegetable oil floating around in the air is not good. There isn't enough research out there, and either way, you want their air as clean as possible.

Basically, they are bad because, 1. you are shooting oil into the air which is not good for them to breathe in.
2. because the oils can actually impact their nervous systems etc when absorbed into the blood-stream.

Last edited:
I personally never use anything that mists into the air, can cause fumes into the air,/has any smell at all.

I never use hair products hair spray, shine oil etc because of potential toxic exposure to my birds.

When i need to "deep clean" i pick days where I can open all doors and windows and plant my birds in their carrier cages literally in the doorway, so they only get full fresh air. Only then, I feel like it is safe to go nuts with cleaning.

Otherwise, i rely on vet approved cleaners, basic "natural cleaners" and even then I still open windows.

I have a gas stove and the rule is, BEFORE you turn on the stove, the windows get opened

Probably way more paranoid, but preventative is the best form of medicine.

Most Reactions

Back