Question about Bamboo

Pickles88

Jul 17, 2024
Parrots
Blue and Gold, yellow napped amazon
hello everyone, I work for a company that maintains a resort with very large bamboo here in Florida. I want to make my macaw a large play area on my back screened porch and am curious wether or not this is safe material to use? And if so has anyone done it with pictures? Thanks for your time!

I made a bunch of perches with fresh cut bamboo. From pencil width to 1.5 inch. All my birds tried it and rejected it. Turns out it is very slippery which made it difficult for them grip. I ended up giving all the skinny branches with leaves to my cockatoo to chew on. She absolutely loved them. She spent days stripping every leaf. The down side of that was the mess i had to clean up afterwards. I now make perches out of hickory, peach, cherry, sassafras, crape myrtle and grape vines.
Here's a picture of a playstand with a combination of branches i attached to it. You can see some of the bamboo i had cut and stripped leaning against the wall in the background.
Play stand

Last edited:
I learned from another group about 20 years ago that SOME bamboo is safe while others are not but which was which, I have no idea so either do a heck of a lot of digging for the information or do like me, and play it safe and stay away.

Thanks for the replies! How about orange tree branches. I have multiple growing on my property and can certainly cut some and shave them down. Anyone have any Info on using them?

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back