Quaker Feathers

Poppys_mom

Oct 21, 2013
USA
Parrots
1 Quaker and 2 parakeets
Can someone tell me why my Quaker has black feathers? When I got him he was 4 months old He is 5 months old now. I heard they might be stress bars or poor nutrition. I just bought my little baby and when I got him he had the black feathers. I've never seen a Quaker with black feathers. I got him from a Pet store she hand raises all her birds. So I thought it was safe and they would be very healthy but now I am wondering. He was in a cage with 5 others ones so I'm wondering if he was getting enough to eat. I feed him Roudybush Pellets which is what she said she had all her birds on. Plus he gets Fruits and veggies everyday. He really don't seem to like the Roudybush that much so I am thinking about changing his food to ZuPreem Pellets but I'm really unsure which kind. If anyone knows if I go with the FruitBlend With Natural Fruit Flavors does that have everything he needs or do I need to buy the veggie flavor also since they should not have a lot of fruit? Any advice on food and what everyone else feeds their babies I would appreciate. Thanks

Attachments

• 1007131227c.jpg
    1007131227c.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,686
  • 1007131223.jpg
    1007131223.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 3,161
  • 1007131233a.jpg
    1007131233a.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2,365
  • 1007131234b.jpg
    1007131234b.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:
Roudybush is a amazing food. You should be feeding it with lots of vegies and bird save table foods.

I feed him veggies and fruit and really any safe foods he will eat with his Roudybush pellets. He really does not care for the Roudybush pellets that is why I'm thinking about switching his pellets.

Looks like feather bronzing to me... where the pigment of the feathers gets rubbed off.

Wait for him to go through a molt. If the feathers come back new and shiny, he's fine! If they don't, then there might be an issue.

I agree that you should wait for a molt. In the mean time, I would call up an avian vet and ask questions. Most vets are more than happy to answer what questions they can. As for switching pellets, I am currently feeding Zupreem Fruit Blend, but switching to Natural Blend, the boring brown stuff and planning to feed the fruit blend as treats.

Okay Thanks everyone. How old are they before they go threw their first molt? SilverSage can I ask why you are switching to the Natural Blend?

Dye free, and preferably, sugar-free foods are better than the alternative. I have also noticed that dyes can result in runnier droppings. Other owners have also noticed the same.

First molt usually occurs any time between 4-12 months of age.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back