Python Eats Crocodile: Impressive, but I've Seen Larger Meals!

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. Iā€™m a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
Recently, dramatic photos of an Olive Python, Liasis olivaceus, swallowing an Australian Freshwater Crocodile, Crocodylus johnstoni, have been much in the news. A very interesting story, no doubt, but actually a 3-4 foot long croc is well within the size range of prey taken by large pythons. In past articles Iā€™ve mentioned some of the astonishing snake meals Iā€™ve been witness to (please see articles linked below). One, a 60 pound White-tailed Deer taken by a huge Green Anaconda in Venezuela, would be hard for me ā€œto swallowā€ (sorry!) had I not been awakened by the snake disgorging it below my hammock in the wee hours! A 5-foot-long Spectacled Caiman grabbed by another took 6+ hours to subdue. Iā€™ve also searched my notes for feeding accounts recorded by Messrs. Ditmars, Pope, Greene, Kauffeld and other notables, and thought Iā€™d take this opportunity to share them with my fellow snake enthusiastsā€¦Enjoy! Read the rest of this article here Python Eats Crocodile - Tales of Big Snake Eating | That Reptile Blog [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals Iā€™ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Have there been any successful attempts in breeding the king cobra in captivity???

Have there been any successful attempts in breeding the king cobra in captivity???

Hi...yes, several zoos have bred them - other than their propensity to dine on their mates, breeding is pretty straightforward! best, Frank

Most Reactions

Back