Properly ending breeding season

JayBro

Feb 11, 2013
How to properly end a failed breeding season? (Not right now but just for the future) Remove the unhatched bag eggs and leave the nest as it is or should we remove it entirely and have a 1 month break in between until the male starts to want to mate again?
I read that doing the egg removal and letting the process start from scratch could be harmful for the hen due to calcium depletion.

I also have another question regarding nest box monitoring. What kind of web camera should I buy to monitor the box, and where should I locate it? I was thinking an infrared since night vision is a must.

Thanks for your answers :)

I pull the nest box after each clutch. I use the Hawk Eye Nature Cam : Hawk Eye Nature Cam. They also make one where the cable detach from the camera, which can be useful.

I wrap a garden hose around the cable to prevent the birds from biting it (they have killed a few cams!). My nest box has a small hole on top of it where I can rest the camera and have the lens go through, so my cam is resting on top of the box secured with tape and hidden under a towel, and towel secured with rope!.......my birds are very inquisitive and I have had to buy a few new cameras......

Calcium depletion should not be an issue with healthy hen, many hens double clutch if they lose their first clutch with no issues. (healthy bird). In your case i would pull the box, cut back on fats (seed/nut/hi pro pellets,etc) Feed more fresh fruit/veggies/green stuff. Maybe increase humidity. BUT i'm not a CAG breeder.I'd contact African Queen Aviaries , she is one of the most knowledgeable CAG breeders around. And get that "male" DNAed. IMO you just have a poorly matched pair.

I pull the nest box after each clutch. I use the Hawk Eye Nature Cam : Hawk Eye Nature Cam. They also make one where the cable detach from the camera, which can be useful.

I wrap a garden hose around the cable to prevent the birds from biting it (they have killed a few cams!). My nest box has a small hole on top of it where I can rest the camera and have the lens go through, so my cam is resting on top of the box secured with tape and hidden under a towel, and towel secured with rope!.......my birds are very inquisitive and I have had to buy a few new cameras......

Okay thanks for your tips Echo, these will be useful.

Calcium depletion should not be an issue with healthy hen, many hens double clutch if they lose their first clutch with no issues. (healthy bird). In your case i would pull the box, cut back on fats (seed/nut/hi pro pellets,etc) Feed more fresh fruit/veggies/green stuff. Maybe increase humidity. BUT i'm not a CAG breeder.I'd contact African Queen Aviaries , she is one of the most knowledgeable CAG breeders around. And get that "male" DNAed. IMO you just have a poorly matched pair.

That's great to hear, that calcium depletion shouldn't be an issue with a healthy hen and that they can do double clutches. Yeah I'll be in contact with them when some problems arise. Male will be DNAed first thing on monday. I hope you are wrong with the poorly matched pair :/. We'll see :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back