Potent urine

Victoriald

Apr 30, 2024
Parrots
Indian ringneck (Georgie)
Just recently I have noticed Gerogies urine has begun to stink pretty bad. It isn't a hygiene issue like I read on Google as he is cleaned out 2-3 times a week and bottom sheet changed regular. He's only 7 months old so surely he cant be ill? 😥😥

Attachments

• 20240725_134203.jpg
    20240725_134203.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 10
Parrot poop should be very nearly odorless. Even if you waited to clean cages for a month and the liner was developing little poop mountains, it should still be mostly odorless.

If any part of his poop has started to stink, it could very well indicate an issue. I'm not a vet, but GI infections often cause stinky poops. I'm sure there's other possible causes, either a different kind of infection (fungal?) or organ function issues come to mind, so he should see a vet so that he can have the appropriate tests done to identify the proper treatment. It won't likely go away on its own.

Parrot poop should be very nearly odorless. Even if you waited to clean cages for a month and the liner was developing little poop mountains, it should still be mostly odorless.

If any part of his poop has started to stink, it could very well indicate an issue. I'm not a vet, but GI infections often cause stinky poops. I'm sure there's other possible causes, either a different kind of infection (fungal?) or organ function issues come to mind, so he should see a vet so that he can have the appropriate tests done to identify the proper treatment. It won't likely go away on its own.
But he's eating and acting normal. He's 7 months old

But he's eating and acting normal. He's 7 months old
Yes, I did notice that in your OP, I am simply pointing out that without some underlying issue (GI infection, either bacterial or fungal being the main ones that come to mind), bird poop is odorless. I'm not claiming to know exactly what is making your birds poops stink, but I am confident that it's not normal, regardless of whether your bird is showing clinical signs of illness besides odor.

If you're feeding a lot of fruits/veggies then you could certainly try an elimination diet before taking him to the vet. I've never experienced food allergies causing stinky poops but if the situation isn't dire you could try it. However, birds rarely show signs of being sick until they're VERY extremely sick. Just because he's eating/drinking does not mean he doesn't have a GI infection or something else going on.

Yes, I did notice that in your OP, I am simply pointing out that without some underlying issue (GI infection, either bacterial or fungal being the main ones that come to mind), bird poop is odorless. I'm not claiming to know exactly what is making your birds poops stink, but I am confident that it's not normal, regardless of whether your bird is showing clinical signs of illness besides odor.

If you're feeding a lot of fruits/veggies then you could certainly try an elimination diet before taking him to the vet. I've never experienced food allergies causing stinky poops but if the situation isn't dire you could try it. However, birds rarely show signs of being sick until they're VERY extremely sick. Just because he's eating/drinking does not mean he doesn't have a GI infection or something else going on.
I think I know what it is. He has a rope purch that I leave in boiling water and clean, however he goes mad if it isnt in his cage, I put it back in when it wasn't 100% dry, because now there is no smell at all from him 🫣

Do you let him out of his cage a lot, he could of eaten something bad without you noticing some crack in the corner of a window could contains mold that sort of thing is possible

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back