Plucking feathers and being aggressive?

lia

Jun 8, 2024
Parrots
parrotlet
Hello! Iā€™ve had Rico for a while and weā€™ve been doing so good! Heā€™s been coming out of the cage excited everyday!! Sadly I had to move out of town for a month or so for exams and I left him with my parents (my mother adores him) and my little brother. I couldnā€™t take him with me since I have a rabbit which freeroams and has a TON of stuff. I return today to see a lot of feather plucked out? Iā€™m not sure what it is really Iā€™m no expert in parrots but Iā€™m very worried. Heā€™s also quite aggressive(?). He bites a lot and hard which he did not do before I left. heā€™s not even a year old so when my mom told me over the phone I just thought it was because he might be changing feather like rabbits change their fur.
IMG_0587.jpeg

Is this something serious? How can I help him? Maybe a vet? More toys? Enrichment? Is he bored? I really donā€™t know and I really donā€™t want him unhappy! Thank you all in advance!!!

Is he molting? Molting (completely normal) could be the reason for both aggression and loss of feathers. From the picture it looks like molting, I see a lot of pin feathers.
It could also be a sign of stress. Are you his person or the one he's most bonded to? He could have been stressed with you being away.
I would watch him closely to see if he's actually plucking or if he's just molting. If he's plucking or you see bald spots or blood on pin feathers take him to the vet for a check up.

Either way I'd give him more space (don't force petting, , kisses, or coming out of his cage) make sure his cage isn't in a drafty area, offer baths a few times a week for comfort. When Otto molts I give him plain scrambled eggs or hard boiled egg for extra protein.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back