Please help! Questions about Nanday

sara73star

Sep 3, 2024
Parrots
Nanday conure
IMG_0291.jpeg
This is my first conure. The breeder says heā€™s a Nanday conure. Dna confirmed male. He was hand raised and fed. Heā€™s super sweet, but now that Iā€™ve set up his cage he will NOT come out. He gets irritated (he even almost nipped me) if I try to get him out of the cage. Is this normal???? I feel bad because heā€™s been so sweet. He just stays in one place. He hasnā€™t explored his perches or anything yet :(
Idk what Iā€™m doing wrongā€¦. Is it bad if I keep the air conditioning on also? I donā€™t know if maybe heā€™s too cold? Sorry for all the questions

Welcome!
He's precious!
I'd say... he's young, he's learning... spend time with cage door open, put treats and toys outside.
But most of all, don't listen to me. I have reinforced bad behavior and mismanaged my darling for 40 years. Spend tie learning from others here! :))
Meanwhile, the search engine here is great for exploring training issues... perch-training, for example, step-up, etc.
I'm glad you're here.

Welcome!
He's precious!
I'd say... he's young, he's learning... spend time with cage door open, put treats and toys outside.
But most of all, don't listen to me. I have reinforced bad behavior and mismanaged my darling for 40 years. Spend tie learning from others here! :))
Meanwhile, the search engine here is great for exploring training issues... perch-training, for example, step-up, etc.
I'm glad you're here.
@GaleriaGila You crack me up. šŸ„°
I agree. If you both are just starting this new adventure, you both will learn from each other. Make sure all his basic needs are met and give him at least a week to just observe his new environment. He probably just feels safe in his cage. It wonā€™t be long before he will want to explore. Be sure to work on trust. Youā€™ll do great.

Most Reactions

Back