Pineapple GCC is now home :) pics included

Akuma223

Jan 27, 2013
North Florida
Parrots
1 white and grey parakeet, and a pinapple GCC as of 7/27/2018
My pineapple GCC is now home from the breeder, she/he (we're not sure about gender) let me hold them a bit in the car and didn't get startled or too fearful.

They're now in their cage and have explored it a bit and played with their toys (I made sure to say good bird!) And ate a nutriberry treat I put in their food dish. They're sitting and preening right now.

I'm going to leave them be for a few hours and let them settle in. As far as a name goes I'm not sure, ones that are sticking in my mind are Pidgey (pidg for short), Tavish (Tavi), and Tahiti.

Attachments

• 20180727_141339.jpg
    20180727_141339.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG959033.jpg
    IMG959033.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 253
Welcome home to your new little green cheek! Lovely pictures!

I like the name Pidgey, I'm a big pokemon fan!

They really like the rattle toy, ate a bit of apricot too.

Also how do I keep images from being sideways? The attachment manager seems to rotate some sideways.

Attachments

• 20180727_154537.jpg
    20180727_154537.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 157
My birds looove that straw wind chimes toy!

Adorable! My vote is for Pidgey as well :)

I think I've decided on the name Pidgey for our sweet new birdie :) She/He seems to like head scritches and likes to eat millet, cauliflower, and some bits of fruit. We're gonna see if they like some of the stuff I'll be putting in my salad shortly as well. They don't understand how to step up yet and seem to prefer just being picked up lol, so we'll keep working on that.

Also, can you microchip a bird this size and can a vet put a bird band on with my info on it? I would like to do so for peace of mind if my birdie ever gets lost or stolen.

A-do-ra-ble! :)

Your Pidgey is my twin!

I kinda liked Tahiti but eithe way very cute parrot. Those BIG eyes!

I kinda liked Tahiti but eithe way very cute parrot. Those BIG eyes!
Her eyes are lovely aren't they? The name Pidgey came to me suddenly and just felt right :)

She is a total cuddle bug and lobes to be right up in my hair, she is also learning to step up now.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180802-071414.jpg
    Screenshot_20180802-071414.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20180731_201114.jpg
    20180731_201114.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 117
Your new friends are amazingly beautiful! What lovely toys! Congratulations may you have long abd happy lives together.

Yes, birds that size can be microchipped! However, you may need to find a competent vet willing to do the procedure as many wont microchip a bird as small as a cockatiel, and green cheeks are even smaller! The regular micro-chips are larger than a grain of rice, where-as a mini size is the size of a grain of rice.

Open leg bands *ARE NOT* recommended for multiple reasons - primary one is that open leg bands are likely to get caught and a bird may break their leg trying to get free. You can not put a closed leg band on an adult bird. Closed leg bands can only be placed on chicks when they are 2-3 weeks old.

My sister and I have found pet pigeons and one of them I took care of for a little while. I referred to her as "pidge" for short, until I could get her back home. (~200 miles away on the other side of a mountain range! She flew kind of far away from home... I didn't take her home, though, but she made it back with the help of a human!). I have a bird friend (internet person I've known for years and have met once in person) who fostered a pigeon until a home could be found and kind of thanks to me, ended up calling his pigeon "Pidge" as well!

It's honestly a cute name! :)

Anyway! Question! Do you know what mutation Pidge's mother is?

Yes, birds that size can be microchipped! However, you may need to find a competent vet willing to do the procedure as many wont microchip a bird as small as a cockatiel, and green cheeks are even smaller! The regular micro-chips are larger than a grain of rice, where-as a mini size is the size of a grain of rice.

Open leg bands *ARE NOT* recommended for multiple reasons - primary one is that open leg bands are likely to get caught and a bird may break their leg trying to get free. You can not put a closed leg band on an adult bird. Closed leg bands can only be placed on chicks when they are 2-3 weeks old.

My sister and I have found pet pigeons and one of them I took care of for a little while. I referred to her as "pidge" for short, until I could get her back home. (~200 miles away on the other side of a mountain range! She flew kind of far away from home... I didn't take her home, though, but she made it back with the help of a human!). I have a bird friend (internet person I've known for years and have met once in person) who fostered a pigeon until a home could be found and kind of thanks to me, ended up calling his pigeon "Pidge" as well!

It's honestly a cute name! :)

Anyway! Question! Do you know what mutation Pidge's mother is?
I'll look into if the avian vet in Tally can put a mini microchip in, i think there are 2 offices there that can handle birds.

Thats awesome that the pet pigeon made it home when it was so far away!

I'm not sure what morph her mother is, most adult birds are kept on an off-site aviary. Besides their mustached parakeets.

So pidgey has started to do something rather odd. we'll be holding her and she'll suddenly back up, stick her tail up right next to our face or arm and start making funny little noises while fluttering her wings. Does this mean she is trying to mate with us or is it something else?

Sounds like a very possible chance of trying to mate... and not a behavior that should be encouraged. Better to distract and teach other, desired behaviors!

Sounds like a very possible chance of trying to mate... and not a behavior that should be encouraged. Better to distract and teach other, desired behaviors!

Thats what I thought, we've been careful not to encourage it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back