Pin feather question??

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Sprite just had his half birthday, so he's now 1 year and 6 months (SPRITE-your growing up TOO fast!!!!) Hes had pin feathers on his head all the time since I got him (he was 6 months at purchase) is this normal???

Ruby seems to have pin feathers on her head most of the time also. She refuses to allow me to open them for her. Instead she will rub them on her perches, which rubs them right out, hence she grows more. Try as I do, she refuses to accept my help in that department.

If you don't get to work on those head pin feathers then he will always have some. You can gently pinch them and they sort of crack and then will begin to fall away but they sort of need a start. Since Sprite is not with a bird flock that would normally preen those pin feathers then that leaves you mommy! :) That is one of the main reasons I got my second GCC and the seem to have pin feathers that go away pretty quickly but there are always one or two here and there.

I help Lucy break up as many as possible. There are many times when she has to tell me "not yet"

How do you help take the pin feathers off? :$ Are you just taking off the plastic-y looking part? Audrey has a lot!

It's best to give them a shower so the water can soak the feathers and make them break up a little easier.

When me and Lucy are just hanging around, I will rub my index finger and thumb around and feel them out. I usually take my thumbnail and push it against my index finger to break the coating around the pin feather, then I just gently slide both my fingers up to remove as much as possible. You can blow on them to get the pieces out of the feathers too.

You will know you have the right feather when your fid gives you that "ohh yeah right there" look. Like this: :32:

Awesome haha thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow! Audrey likes it when I scratch them, so it must be bothering her!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back