he is not human dont forget...
He should know He is a animal.... try to make this

and dont carry him on your shoulder..

İ hope you have a ong life together

he is not human dont forget...
He should know He is a animal.... try to make this

and dont carry him on your shoulder..

İ hope you have a ong life together
Why should I not carry him on my shoulder he plus he won't stand on my arm he goes straight to my shoulder what shall I do about it

when he climbs to your shoulder from your arm.if you lift your arm up he start to climb your hand.

İf you carry him on your shoulder You say this:

You are the leader make what do you want to me :D

I'm guessing you just got Rio, but you really need to get him a MUCH larger cage. That is way too small for an amazon, but you can keep it as a travel cage if he ever needs to go to the vet or be transported. Amazons are big boys, and need spacious homes :) As for shouldering, that is a personal choice based on your birds temperament and your bond with him. Keep in mind, allowing him on the shoulder puts him in a place of "power", and can affect your ability to train him. It could also result in a very nasty bite to the face. Research "height dominance in parrots" for more information on deciding whether you want to shoulder him or not. I personally do NOT allow Kiwi on my shoulder. He's happy enough to stay on my hand, but when he does get a bug up his butt to clim my arm, I bend my arm so he cannot get past my elbow. Good luck with Rio! Amazons are great birds!

i agree with kiwi bird get rio a bigger cage my quaker has a bigger cage then your amazon

Is Rio an older bird? If so, is that the cage he "came in"? My parents have 2 zons they got back in the 1970s (when "recommended" cage sizes were MUCH smaller than today). Both of them have their original, 40+ year old cages and neither will go anywhere near another cage. Their cockatoo (same age) accepted a larger, modern cage, but those amazons are stubbornly set in their ways. But they are also out pretty much all day, every day. They only sleep in their cages. If Rio is a stubborn old guy, just be sure he spends A LOT of time out of his cage exploring and moving around. I would also strongly suggest a rope perch instead of the wood dowel, for the varied gripping surface to keep his feet from becoming arthritic. So long as someone is home to supervise him, most parrots really enjoy big play-stands, so that may be a good option for him during the day if he likes his "cozy" cage:

Kiwi (our amazon) has this play tree and LOVES it, and at under $100, it's a great price (though it probably wouldn't hold up to a bird that likes to chew)- Cockatiel Rolling Parrot Play Stand - FREE SHIPPING!

This one is nice and durable for the price- Prevue Hendryx Parrot Playstand in Black: Birds : Walmart.com

This one looks SUPER fun, if you have a little more to spend- https://www.google.com/shopping/pro....5&ei=_EoJU87oApKHogSz_YHoAQ&ved=0COUBEKYrMAk

Regarding the shoulder sitting - my bird sits on my shoudler a lot...now that I can trust him not to rip my eye out! LOL! If Rio's well behaved and obeys you when you say NO (like when he tries to nibble your ear or steal your specs like mine does) I think it is ok for him to be on your shoulder. Opinions on this vary though so I recommend you find what works best for your situation and your bird.

Birds can be resistent to change. I would have both cages available, the old one and the new, bigger one. Make the new one super fun with toys, treats, interesting perches, etc. He may go over to investigate and when he does, reward him profusely. You may get him to move into the new digs in time ;)

Great looking pics! As for letting him on your shoulder, I don't anymore. I did at one time but had to stop as he is a somewhat nervous bird and has a tendency to bite when startled.

As for training him to stay down, when Zack starts climbing my arm I let him get to where I want to let him go, then I hold up my hand between my shoulder and him and he stops. I do NOT try to hit him, just hold it at his eye level so he knows it means stop. If I want him to move back down I slowly move my hand toward him and very gently push him back down.

You might get him a perch for when he is out of the cage as an alternative. Also, does his cage have any toys? If he has a favorite toy you might try putting that in the new cage to entice him in. Food is a good incentive, coax him in with a treat!

get the new cage and put it right next to hes cage put food,water,treats,toys in that cage and leave the door open let rio explore the cage him self dont force him in there it should work out and if not then its okay i guess aslong as rio is happy and healthy

Most Reactions

Back