Perch diameter

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
What is the ideal perch size for an Eclectus? I know they should have a variety to stand on to keep their feet in optimal health, but what should the main perch be? Or what would be ideal size for a shower perch?

Thank you!

1-1 1/4 inch seems to be the best "fit" for the eclectus feet. But, I've seen my bird sleep on platforms, and smaller or bigger perches than that. That's why variety is important, you'll be surprised at where you eclectus falls asleep.

No "Ideal" exists. It depends on the age of your parrot, the sub-species (Vosmeris are nearly twice as large as Solomon Island). Females are furthermore a bit smaller.

Perfect perch is whatever size you find your bird likes to spend most of his time on it. If you have a whole bunch in the cage, and he spends all his time on the largest one than buy a slightly larger one to experiment and see if he decides to switch (and the same concept for a smaller perch). In the end - Personality could also play a big role.

A good rule of thumb: Birds choose to sleep on the one they find most comfortable (or in highest place). So if you place multiples at same highest, you will find easy.

I hope this one helps,

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back