Panther Chameleon Care Tips from a Herpetologist

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,
Chameleons are spectacular creatures to care for, but they are almost “too interesting” for their own good. Drawn by their beauty and unique-to-bizarre characteristics, many rush into chameleon care without proper preparation. None are suitable for beginners, but if asked to recommend a large, colorful species to an experienced keeper, I would choose the majestic Panther Chameleon, Furcifer pardalis. While not as hardy as the Veiled Chameleon, Chamaeleo calyptratus, the Panther is adapted to environmental conditions that fluctuate wildly, and this seems assist its adjustment to captivity. It is also an excellent study subject…recent studies have revealed new insights into the relationship between chameleon basking behavior and diet (please see below).

I’ve worked with many chameleon species in zoos, and can attest to the difficulties involved even when one has sufficient space and supplies. Please read this article and those linked under “Further Reading” carefully, and post any questions below.
Read the rest of this article here: Chameleon Care Tips from a Herpetologist - Panther Chameleons as Pets

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank Indiviglio

Interesting read as usual Frank! Thanks for sharing... :)

WILL YOU MARRY ME????!!!

LOL just kidding! Such a great source of knowledge in one man is impressive! What a great life you lead! And dangerous one at times!! Thank you for sharing it!

WILL YOU MARRY ME????!!!

LOL just kidding! Such a great source of knowledge in one man is impressive! What a great life you lead! And dangerous one at times!! Thank you for sharing it!

Ha..thanks!...I have been lucky...but judging from past experience, I make a better zoologist than husband! :)

Best, Frank

WILL YOU MARRY ME????!!!

Ha..thanks!...I have been lucky...but judging from past experience, I make a better zoologist than husband! :)

Best, Frank

When you give your all to something so passionate to you, there's little room for anything else I have noticed.

I have always been fascinated by Chameleons (and great apes :)), and have tried to get my son interested into getting one over the years....to no avail. However, I knew that they are a lot of work if you want to do right by them, and I'm best with parrots.......not so much with anything else....I still love reading about them.

I have always been fascinated by Chameleons (and great apes :)), and have tried to get my son interested into getting one over the years....to no avail. However, I knew that they are a lot of work if you want to do right by them, and I'm best with parrots.......not so much with anything else....I still love reading about them.

You like the difficult ones, I see - I've worked with great apes..interesting, but tough to keep properly in zoos; I'll take a thousand parrots & chameleons over a pair of chimps any day!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back