Paint fumes?

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi everyone,

Sorry for posting so much recently, Iā€™ve just had a lot of random questions!

I painted my room about three days ago and then did a second coat two days ago. My budgie has been moved to another level of the house so he wasnā€™t near it. I used VOC free Valspar paint.

Iā€™m wondering if it would be safe to move him back now, as heā€™s definitely stressed by being away from his normal environment and routine. He wonā€™t be IN the room, but in the adjacent one.

Iā€™ve had the fan on 24/7 in the room to try and circulate the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the label--VOC free isn't always VOC free (my sister just discovered this due to cancer and a new house).
Some low-VOC paints actually have fewer VOCs than 0 VOC paints, but it depends on the company/standards etc, so you have to really read the fine print etc.

I'd look up curing times as well.

Can you smell anything at all when you leave the house and then re-enter that room? Noses adjust over time.

Did you leave enough time between coats? If not, sometimes the bottom layer will struggle to dry.

Check the label--VOC free isn't always VOC free (my sister just discovered this due to cancer and a new house).
Some low-VOC paints actually have fewer VOCs than 0 VOC paints, but it depends on the company/standards etc, so you have to really read the fine print etc.

I'd look up curing times as well.

Can you smell anything at all when you leave the house and then re-enter that room? Noses adjust over time.

Did you leave enough time between coats? If not, sometimes the bottom layer will struggle to dry.

Will do! From what I understand my paint is pretty safe but Iā€™ll do some research.

Thereā€™s no smell, nope. There was barely any smell when it was wet actually! It was completely dry by the time I went back, probably 16 hours later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Back