Opinions on use of hut?

Lafalidle

Nov 11, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
1 on its way. Its a baby. Dont know yet if boy or girl.
Lucy LOVES her hut, i started taking it out during day so she explores her cage and plays w toys, instead of sitting in her hut all day. My question to you all is do you use them? I noticed although she loves it, she also loves to pull the fleece out, must be fun lol. But im afraid if she is swallowing it. I dont want it hurting her, im not finding any in her cage, well not much, so do you all recommend a different brand or not use em at all. I tell her no when she does it but of course she looks at me like hahahaha yeah right lol. What do u think????

On another note, her first day home a week and a half ago:
[ame="http://youtu.be/pktnkgGNKDQ"]Lucy's 1st morning home - YouTube[/ame]

Sitting on back of couch, are these normal sounds or is she whining?
[ame="http://youtu.be/mTYbGqq3Yvk"]Lucy lou - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
If she is chewing and/or pulling the fleece out, you might be wise to take it out of her cage...chewed fleece and/or cotton fabric has been found to cause impaction in a lot of birds, which often requires crop flushing and even surgery in a few instances.....My birds like to chew holes in my T-shirts, so I have a week's worth of holy shirts I change into at home.....

On top of what weco has pointed out, many parrots have gotten tangled in the loose threads on chewed happy huts, and some have even lost their lives. Please be careful!

Lucy is adorable! I personally think Black-Capped Caiques are the most beautiful parrots in the world, and they remind me of Neapolitan ice cream haha :smile007:

I wonder if they make non shreddable ones. I had to give it to her last night at bedtime cuz she was freaking out hanging on top her cage looking for it. Boy she is gonna be mad at me when i take it for gd :/

That's a depends on the bird issue to me.

My sun conures LIVED in a happy hut for about 12 years, when he wasn't living inside my shirt...

My OTHER TWO conures, were fabric chewers and then some. A happy hut wouldn't last but a few days with them, and quickly became a hazard.

So it depends on the extent to which your bird lives in it vs. uses it for a chew toy. Either way, this is an item you periodically need to inspect for entrapment hazards, and replace if you find any.

If it's your bird's favorite thing, then I certainly wouldn't take it away from her unless it became dangerous.

Sitting on back of couch, are these normal sounds or is she whining?
Lucy lou - YouTube

Based on my experience with caiques, it's not whining. it's pretty much "Hey...I can make THIS noise...and now I can make THIS noise! But I don't seem to be annoying them enough...I'll have to think of another noise to make..."
:D

PS Henry really enjoyed the videos!

Im glad henry could see videos cuz i cant click here and play em lol. Shes definately not shredding it, thinking that maybe as long as i only give it to her at night she will be sleeping so wont have the opportunity to chew it. I will try that and see how it works. She LOVES that hut, since day 1 when i brought her home she loves it.

My conure was so spoiled, he slept in a freestanding happy hut on my nightstand next to my bed.

My conure hated the hut and never went into it, so I had to remove it. I read that the huts were not safe and didn't want to take the risk.
Just check for loose threads so she doesn't get caught in them.

My conure hated the hut and never went into it, so I had to remove it. I read that the huts were not safe and didn't want to take the risk.
Just check for loose threads so she doesn't get caught in them.

With my other two conures, they weren't safe. And they used it for a swing and a chew toy.

Huginn LOVES his hut, but he doesn't chew as much as some caiques. He'll occasionally sleep in a toy ring if it's warmer outside, but we never travel without his hut. I'm at my parents' house this week across the country, and his hut was the last thing I packed. Like everyone has said, though, keep an eye on it!

I have this for my caique and she loves it! she can surf on it, destroy it, hang upside down on it, and it lasts a long time! It's called a flying trapeze for medium birds.

flying-trapeze-4.gif

I have this for my caique and she loves it! she can surf on it, destroy it, hang upside down on it, and it lasts a long time! It's called a flying trapeze for medium birds.

flying-trapeze-4.gif

Does anyone have a link to where I can buy this?

I would suggest the medium one for caiques, because in your picture, they show a lovebird, and a caique is at least twice as big, so it would be too small and uncomfortable for a caique imho.

Hi I'm new here.

My guy loves his - he sleeps in it every night and happily goes to it when he's tired. The rest of the time he just ignores it so no problems with him chewing - he has a bunch of wooden blocks down below for that :)

When I brought Cisco home he had one and the previous owner said he needed it and slept in it every night. It was pretty chewed up and I got him another one. It was all good until he got hormonal. He got so possessive of that, and the papers in his cage. He wouldn't even leave the cage...he would just run to the hut whenever we tried to get him to come out. I had to take it out because it needed washed badly (he had regurgitated ALL over it). I had to get him in another room and had hubby remove it from the cage so we wouldn't get attacked by him for touching it. I did not replace it and he's fine. I don't want to risk the dangers of the hut with him since he has chewed on it. I do like the look of that trapeze and I think I will get him one of those to try.

made my own fleece "penthouse" for our Caique Pixie. It has 2 entrances and is much safer and larger than the tiny happy huts and did not require alot of skill to make. Pixie sleeps in there under a small piece of fleece as a blanket just like a human. PM me if you are interested in some crude directions.
Here is a picture of it before I clipped the ties.

Loved the videos, Braxy heard Lucy and got nervous! Braxy customized his hut by putting a hole on the top to sit in! I may need to swap it out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back