Odd behaviour

bubbanater

Jan 14, 2018
Ontario
Parrots
eclectus-lexus
I am currently bird sitting for 5 months. Her name is Lexus and she is an eclectic parrot. She layed 2 eggs a week ago and is displaying some odd behaviour. I'm wondering if this is normal, like a hormone thing and will pass? :confused:

laying eggs is definitely a hormonal behavior

reduce fatty foods (nuts, seeds ETC) keep her busy, limit daylight to 12 hours minimum

also never pet them anywhere but the head/neck as touching anywhere else is foreplay for them

PS. try not to post the same question in multiple threads, it'll just split the answers

This is post egg laying. She keeps to the same bottom corner of her cage even with the door open when before she would climb on top to her perch up there. Each time she sees or hears me she makes a cooing sound non-stop. Even if I am in a different room and a clear my throat she starts the noises again.

Even if i pick her up she keeps up these sounds looking at me with her beak open. While on my hand she will grab my hand with her beak(not in a painful way), she will eventually climb onto my shoulder and grab my ear in the same manner.

My girlfriend was over at my house without me there and she told me that Lexus didn't make any noise.

Also I make sure she has plenty of food in her dish but when i give her fresh fruits she takes them greedily like shes starving.

P.S. sorry for the double posting

with an Eclectus it's a bit of a wild card in "how long" they can be like this, they're one of if not the only parrot species that can have children at any time of year so it's the environment which will set her off. I assume whenever she grabs you she does a butt wiggle? If so just calmly set her down away from you and let her know she's gotta take you out for a good dinner first!

As for food not sure what Lexus' owner has told you but Eclectuses have a special diet where they should only eat fresh fruit and veg and not seed or pellets so that may be why she's wolfing down her fruit and veg with reckless abandon

Most Reactions

Back