Not yet adopted

morganjay

Mar 1, 2017
I am looking into adopting a rescue Sun Conure and while I have a lot of experience with Cockatiels and Monk Parakeets, I have not yet owned this breed.

I really am looking for honest experienced thoughts on what its like to have a Conure from Veterans and what to expect without any sugar coating like a lot of articles will have online.
Ive done a lot of reading, but still would like some first hand knowledge if anyone here could spare some?

We have other animals, but no other birds. My last died 3 years ago and it was so sudden and heartbreaking that ive not been ready to adopt again until now.
Im really a one bird woman. Are Conures content to just have one human if they get enough attention in your experience ?
I know they are notorious for being loud, and I dont mind loud vocalizing but is it really an all day shreiking thing or is it more just occasional bursts or different with every bird? are they super messy eaters? How well do they train as adults? The one Im looking to adopt is 9.
Really id love any insight in the breed and details you can think of.

thanks ! <3

I have a GCC and he is perfectly fine with being the only bird! And from what i've read from others on here who also have only one conure, I think that yours would have no problems with it just being the two of you.
Conures are very playful and silly, and extremely curious. They are also super sassy little things. Its been said that conures are just little macaws personality wise.
My conure is generally a pretty quiet bird. He only really shrieks in the mornings (which sucks) and whenever he hears my toilet flush. lol. He also has his random outbursts but i'm sure that's every conure. However i've read that sun conures are more vocal and just generally louder than GCC's, so maybe my descriptions won't apply to you much.
It also just depends on the bird!
my conure is a super messy eater and just super messy in general by tearing up his toys and stuff. But it's also no messier than I'd expect from a bird.
I personally just love conures for all that they are. I'm super excited for you and your new baby :)

Last edited:
Welcome! Glad you found us.

My big Patagonian is not a very typical conure, I believe... plus... I am THE WORST example of training/management EVER... my little rooster runs the place. SOOOOOO... I won't give you advice. I'll just welcome you and reassure you that you'll get great advice and support here.

THANK YOU for thinking about rescuing!

I am looking into adopting a rescue Sun Conure and while I have a lot of experience with Cockatiels and Monk Parakeets, I have not yet owned this breed.

I really am looking for honest experienced thoughts on what its like to have a Conure from Veterans and what to expect without any sugar coating like a lot of articles will have online.
Ive done a lot of reading, but still would like some first hand knowledge if anyone here could spare some?

We have other animals, but no other birds. My last died 3 years ago and it was so sudden and heartbreaking that ive not been ready to adopt again until now.
Im really a one bird woman. Are Conures content to just have one human if they get enough attention in your experience ?
I know they are notorious for being loud, and I dont mind loud vocalizing but is it really an all day shreiking thing or is it more just occasional bursts or different with every bird? are they super messy eaters? How well do they train as adults? The one Im looking to adopt is 9.
Really id love any insight in the breed and details you can think of. 8

thanks ! <3
Conures are awesome little birds that tend to like many people. They make good family Birds because they don't pick just one person. Yes conures can be loud at times. It really depends on the bird and how It was raised. Yes you can train older bird. I think my little black-capped conure is very happy with just being with his people. I don't know if he would even like another bird he can be a bit territorial.

I think it is really cool that you are looking at adopting. There are so many sun conures and green cheeks that need homes because many people don't know how much work they actually can be. I think you should meet the bird and then make your decision.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back