Not sure what to think..

Blucoco

Jun 9, 2013
Hi this is a first time post on this forum! I've been doing a lot of reading here and other sources to help me with my bird :). Also I am a first time bird owner.

Recently I have purchased a Blue Crowned Conure (named him Oscar) from a breeder at 3 months old. I have a lot of questions that need clearing up because a lot information on the Internet say an action can be both healthy and not healthy. Soo...

#1- how do you know if your bird is eating the food you place in the dishes when you're away? I am currently feeding the baby formula a couple times a day, as recommended by the breeder, to slowly get him comfortable with other foods (I place new foods in the formula and let him eat it off a spoon). When I leave for work I make sure there are pellets in one dish and water in another. When I come home there tend to be pellets that still have their shape at the bottom of the cage. I've never seen him drink the water also.

#2 how will I know when to stop giving him the baby formula? (It's spoon fed not by syringe down the throat).

#3 how do you introduce something as a "treat" for training? I attempted touch training but he doesn't usually take anything as a "reward" but head scratches and his supreme pellets, both of which take too long to follow through with (it seems to take him a while to finish one pellet but sometimes he doesn't. Might he be playing with it? If so how can I discourage this behaviour so that he could just eat it?)

#4 I heard head bobbing can be a sign of sickness? He tends to sit on my fingers, bob his head slowly, squawk quietly, and twitch his wings every 5 seconds. I read it could be a feeding response? I feed him and he still does it. However, when I pet him in a "sweet spot" around the back of his head he'll put his head down on my hand and lay there on his stomach. I'm not sure if I should take this as affection/enjoyment or as a display of sickness because if I lift my hand away he stays like that for a bit before he perches back up and back to bobbing and quiet squawking.

#5 his poop seems different every time. I understand morning poop is the biggest, however throughout the day sometimes his dropping is really small (circumference of a dime), and sometimes it's small and bubbly. are these signs of an illness? however It seems that his droppings are consistent with colour and contents of fecal matter, white stuff and liquid stuff.

#6 he seems extremely quiet for a BCC and only does quiet squawks when I put him in the cage. Will he get louder? Is he unhealthy? Or is that just his personality?

#7 he never seems to have interest in his toys. Since he doesn't have interest in treats yet I can't hide any in them. How can I interest him with his toys? If play with them and him, he still only wants to sit on my hand and want head scratches.

#8 what does it mean when he stands on one leg out of the blue? What does it mean when he spreads his wing wide open and stretches his leg under it?

I think that is it for now. I feel really concerned because he seems like a really low energy bird most of the time. Any help will do, please and thanks in advance :)

Wow, lots of questions. I can help with some but not all. He's a baby so it will take time for him to learn how to play, just keep trying.
Standing on 1 foot is a sign of comfort and stretching wings and a foot out is normal.
Poops are always different throughout the day. The best thing you can do is see an avian vet and get his advice.It will give you peace of mind as I would worry about the low energy, but I've never had a baby bird.

My Rudy, who's 4 months old, also does the quiet squawk and wing twitches. It seems to be a baby thing that means 'I want some attention'.

His poop changes color according to what he's eating, but it looks tubular, with clear white liquid along with it. There will be a bit of white stuff, too, after it dries.

Rudy won't accept treats from my hand, either, but he loves scritches behind his head so I use that as a reward.

As a caretaker of two Blue Crowns I'll help as I can though I adopted my birds as adults so I can't give any input on the baby bird questions. And not much on training. My oldest is too stubborn for the most part and the younger is not trusting enough yet. He is hand shy.

#1. Keep the lining of the cage clean and check daily. Birds tend to toss things they don't like right out of the food cup. If you find a lot of one type of food down there you may have to try to get him used to eating it in other ways. Like share a piece. Take a bite, look like you are really enjoying it then offer a piece by holding it near your mouth with your fingers. Not in your mouth because the bacteria in your saliva can be harmful. Get a scale and check your bird's weight daily. Some variation is normal day to day but it helps to ensure that your bird is holding a good average weight. Opinions vary but I suppose that Blue Crowns tend to weigh between 150 and 180 grams.

#4. Head bobbing can be very normal. It mostly is a regurgitation motion where they are bringing up food to offer it to their mate. In this case, you. It normally is a fairly quick up and down motion and you might see the beak opening during it. Unfortunately, I had a Senegal Parrot once that became ill. Her head bobbing was strained and certainly out of the normal. It was a very different motion. You will get used to the normal regurgitation motion. If that changes to a motion that has a different feel then it is time to get to the vet as soon as able.

#5. Poops always seem to vary in size through the day. Blue Crowns have a bit of a wet consistency compared to my Senegal. And depending upon what you feed the bird you can have large variances in color. Wait til you feed him something colorful and you get a vivid purple or bright red plop! Startling the first time you see it. The solids will be tubular and kind of spiral. As said above, some clear fluids and some whites. If the whites ever get a green color then get a vet check. That could be a problem.

#6. Cherish your quiet times. Blue Crowns can get loud enough to make your ears hurt. My oldest one is noisy. She goes off at the slightest thing and this is getting worse as she gets old. She is near the end of her years and I don't think those birdie brains are quite normal anymore. ;) The younger one sounds off just to join in. I think he would be a much quieter bird alone.

#7 My oldest does not really have any interest in toys. But she likes textures. Things to stimulate the tongue when she explores them. She will spend a lot of time doing just that with a specific toy or my skin. Looking at one of her toys you would swear she has never touched them. The younger just tears toys up like most birds. Try different materials and colors. A soft wood might be a good one to stimulate interest since it can be easily chewed up.

#8. That is just good old birdie stretching. All three of my birds will stretch a wing and a foot under it at the same time. It is usually a 5 or more second process for each side. My Senegal makes a funny noise when he is stretching out. Sounds like an old rusty door hinge turning. Creeeeeeeeeek!

Your bird may be low energy now but over time that could change to having more energy than is easy to handle. My older has always been low energy but the younger is a whirlwind at times. If you have had him just a short time, give him time to adjust and get used to his surroundings. Some birds fit into a new home like they have always been there. Others take a bit of time. Just go at his pace and let him develop naturally. It is a good way to avoid stress for him. And as suggested, a good avian vet is worth their weight in gold. Establishing a relationship with one early and going for yearly checkups will lead to a long and healthy relationship with your bird. Don't neglect the health care!

Good luck with your Blue Crown. They can be a lot of fun.

1. You wouldn't know unless you eye witness he's eating them, with babies you can usually feel for food in their crop sac. Since your still feeding formula, he's not going to drink a lot of water. He gets most of what he needs in the formula.

2. When he's eating well on his own, they usually will start refusing formula. OR if they're eating pretty good on their own, cut the formula to once per day if he begs for it. IF the crop sac is full, don't feed any formula!

3. Since he's still a baby trying to wean, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to get him to train with treats. Your main goal right now is to wean him! Everything is something new for them as they're exploring so they will nibble on this and that, it's normal!

4. Head Bobbing, since he is still a baby, he's begging for food! And they make this cry sound and shaking their wings and bobbing. How old is he since he's laying in your hands?

5. Since your only doing two feedings a day, the poop content will be a bit different. It's usually more slushier since he's still on formula.

6. He's still a baby learning his ability, yes they can get louder, are you expecting him to scream already?? lol

7. They would show more interest in toys as they mature a bit, past the weaning stage. Give him time!

8. Birds stands on one leg to sleep or what not. Nothing unusual! Explain a bit more about spreading wings and stretch his legs???

Thanks for all the help!

It has been 4 days today that he has been in my home and he seems really affectionate towards me and others. Its good to know that a lot of his habits are normal however I will be taking him to an avian vet in the near future just for a check up.

I can't wait until he's fully grown!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back