Not eating pellets after infection

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
My CAG had a bacterial infection in May (100% my fault). He dropped a lot of weight, so while he recovered i let him eat sunflower seeds (which I had recently more or less weaned him off of).

He was kinda eating Harrison's (i was never confident about how much was being ingested). I also have Tops which he has never eaten but I throw it in the bowl from time to time. Since recovering (month ago), he is NOT eating pellets. He is throwing them on the floor.. dumping his bowl, attacking it, etc. He gets angry with me "offering " him pellets. He has another bowl in his house with pellets that he can't dump and he just doesn't touch.

I make a nutritious birdy bread but I don't know its nutritional facts. This however is now his main diet. He does not eat a lot of veggies (and he will dump these out too), but he does like fruit. I try to withhold sunflower seeds but I know he is not eating enough while I wait in vain for him to eat his pellets. If i let him be hungry, his behavior deteriorates significantly.

Help??? Any ideas?

My CAG had a bacterial infection in May (100% my fault). He dropped a lot of weight, so while he recovered i let him eat sunflower seeds (which I had recently more or less weaned him off of).

He was kinda eating Harrison's (i was never confident about how much was being ingested). I also have Tops which he has never eaten but I throw it in the bowl from time to time. Since recovering (month ago), he is NOT eating pellets. He is throwing them on the floor.. dumping his bowl, attacking it, etc. He gets angry with me "offering " him pellets. He has another bowl in his house with pellets that he can't dump and he just doesn't touch.

I make a nutritious birdy bread but I don't know its nutritional facts. This however is now his main diet. He does not eat a lot of veggies (and he will dump these out too), but he does like fruit. I try to withhold sunflower seeds but I know he is not eating enough while I wait in vain for him to eat his pellets. If i let him be hungry, his behavior deteriorates significantly.

Help??? Any ideas?
You might try soaking some of the pellets in unsweetened natural juice.
I used apple juice when getting my picky eaters to start eating them.

All my birds eat Zupreem nut blend (some more so than others).
Remember the best pellet in the world doesn’t do your bird any good on the floor and .
The best pellets are the ones your bird will eat.

As for how to get your bird off sunflower seeds IDK, little by little reducing the amount.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back