New to this.

Matt

Apr 24, 2012
Oklahoma
Hello, everyone, I am planning on getting my first bird. My parents owned a Quaker Parrot when i was a kid. I have always wanted a bird. Now i am living in a house where owning one is a possibility. some friends of the family have a Green-Cheeked Conure. I really like their bird, but i am still undecided on what type to get. I have been trying to decide between a GCC and a Sun Conure. I already have a 32L"X22W"X35H" cage. From what i understand green cheeks are usually more calm and quiet? i have heard Suns can be loud? i am going sometime next week to the breeder near here to pick one out. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome! Joining this forum was one of the best things I did for my birds, and I hope you find it equally helpful. You are correct on both counts. Green cheeks are quieter than suns, and suns can be very loud at times. Having said that may GCC has her days :) They are both lovely birds, so you will have to decide what you can handle. There is no shortage of Sun conures being rehomed because of people not understanding how they vocalize, so you should ne able to find a young, tame one easily! It is healthy and normal for a sun to make calls or noise just because he/she is a sun conure.

It all depends on how much noise you and your neighbors can handle. If you can handle a lot of noise then just go look at the babies of each and find one that you really connect with. Suns have brighter colors and are bigger with bigger beaks which means they can cause more damage. Gcc are smaller with smaller beaks that cant do a lot of damage.
Just find a baby you really like and go from there, best of luck finding your new baby.
You should really look at adopting or getting a rehome bird, there are so many that need homes. Plus if you get an older bird you might get him after he goes through his terrible twos stage.
And welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the reply. I really have my heart set on a Sun, but i do not want to be another misinformed owner that can not handle the noise level. Will visiting the birds at the breeder give me an idea of how loud i can expect it to be? Also, do Suns have the same calm attitude as GCC? while at my friends house, his GCC will just chill on your shoulder while watching tv, or jump/fly/hover from one persons shoulder to the other.

Thanks for the information, Cdog. I live in the country so i have no neighbors to worry about, i have a pretty good sized house also. I would love to rehome a bird, but I have not been able to find one. I really enjoy rescue animals, I own a Shih-Tzu (dog), that had been mistreated by his previous owner.

Cant remember who it was. But someone said look at youtube videos of suns screeching, turn up your speakers all the way and it still wont do justice, lol. Personally i couldnt handle it, and i have 5 birds and 7 kids. Ive never heard a gcc, but i have a nanday now and hes nothing compared to the sun. I think ultimately it comes down to what you want and the birds personality.

Welcome to the forums!

Hi and welcome to a great forum!! Good luck finding your new family member

Hello and welcome to the forums. I am interested to see what you choose as my wife would love a conure. Our neighbor has a pineapple green cheek conure and she is just awesome, very snuggly and not very loud. When she does bite, it doesnt hurt much at all. But even that is rare and only to new people. She loves to hang out on your shoulder and will snuggle to your neck. She likes to hide in my wife's hair. Good luck on finding your bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back