New to the site, this is Rio!

Heather2691

Jan 23, 2013
BC, Canada
Parrots
Senegal parrot named Rio
Hello all,

This is Rio my Senegal parrot, she just turned 7 on the 9th. I have had her since she was just a weanling and purchased her when I was 17 years old. "Her" is a loose term, when I got Rio the breeder said based on experience she thought Rio was likely a female however I think Rio might actually be male. But seeing as Rio as been called a "she" the entire time I am sticking with it until I know otherwise.

I keep Rio's wings clipped over the summer months and let them grow out over winter so in the pics to follow you will notice she has full flights. This will change in a month or so as the weather here in Canada worms up.

Rio has a small vocabulary consisting of the following words/phrases: hello, hiiiiiii, pretty bird, hello pretty bird, nooooo, ouch, what are you doing?, Heather, Jodie, Rio.

Rio also mimics a lot of sounds and can make all the sounds my sister tiel makes, wolf whistles, whistles really loud for the dogs when they start barking, the creek of the door, the buzzer on the dryer, moews, whispers, the dial on the phone, ahhhhhhh, and laughs (usually at the right moments too!).

I was watching TV with her one time and there was a guy about to get stabbed in slow mo with a sword to the chest. Rio said "No, no, nooooooo!" and just as the sward hit his chest screamed "AHHHHH!" Another time I was getting her wings clipped and when she popped out of the towel she shook her feathers and said "What are you doing?!" My dad turned to my sister and said "Jess I know you wont forget to let the dogs out right?" before my sister could answer Rio starts laughing up a storm, my sister NEVER remembers.

For the first couple of years I had Rio I took her everywhere and did everything to make her day. After a while however I slowly started to slack off a bit. Not to the point where she was neglected by any means but it was just not the same. Lately I have kicked my but into gear and have reduced my menagerie by A LOT! This has made me really realize how much has changed from then to now.

I joined this site to help me re-kindle the strong bond we had before and to make her life more exciting again.

Attachments

• Rioshots2 007.jpg
    Rioshots2 007.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 265
  • Rioshots 015.jpg
    Rioshots 015.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Rioshots 024.JPG
    Rioshots 024.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 264
Here are pics of her cage. I switch out her toys every week and/or move them all around.

The stand that is pictured I picked up for free from my work the other day. It was used to hold stuffed animal parrot toys for kids. I haven't really figured out how I should modify it yet so I am totally open to suggestions, it should be a fun project, though Rio doesn't know what to think of it yet.

Attachments

• Rioshots 010.jpg
    Rioshots 010.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 278
  • Rioshots 011.JPG
    Rioshots 011.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 168
Welcome to the forum. Rio is adorable. That looks like it could make a fun playground for her:)

Welcome Heather, My name is also Heather and I used to have a Senegal. His name was Rio also but he hated everyone in our home except me and still his favorite pastime was biting me. We rehomed him and he is quite happy, as his new home had a female Senegal looking for a husband. They are quite happy together and he bites much less having a mate.

Welcome Heather and Rio! Rio is a cute little thing, and I think you will have fun adding things to the stand to make it a fun place for Rio to play on.

I really enjoyed what you shared about Rio - what a character! How she reacted to the guy getting stabbed on tv is amazing.

Recently my chattering lory, Sweet Pea was on my lap preening, and I was watching a dating game show and just before going to commercial, the host says "when we come back, we'll see who's leaving" ... to that Sweet Pea says "bye-bye!".

If my husband or I should sneeze - anytime, even in the middle of the night - Sweet Pea yells out "Bless You!!!" "Bless You!!"

She can also tell when I'm getting ready to go somewhere and at the point where she thinks I'm nearly ready, she'll ask "ready to go dear?". My husband and I say that to each other a lot as we get ready and Sweet Pea picked it up recently.

Oh, and the breeder told us that our chattering was a male. For 9 years we thought we had a male and then "she" laid a couple eggs! It took us a little over a month to adjust from calling Sweet Pea a "him" to "her".

Have fun re-bonding with Rio. :greenyellow:

The fact that they say and do thins just at the right moments just goes to show they are often way smarter than people give them credit for :p

Why do you keep him clipped/flighted during different parts of the year?

I live in Canada so winters get quite cold. During winter we dont leave doors or windows open like we do in summer and I dont take her anywhere so there is not really much of a risk in letting Rio have full flight feathers. She doesn't fly much anyway and when she does she has no idea what to do or where to go and just lands on me freaking out. Usually she only flies when she gets scared by a sudden noise.

During summer I keep her clipped because:
A) if she did fly out the window she could get lost and/or eaten
B) I like to take her out on the patio for bbq's so she can socialize and get all sorts of good treats from guests
C) I like to take her places with me sometimes and its safer for her if she cant fly off for the same reasons as in A

Aww, I love sennies. :D Have a soft spot for them. :p

Welcome to the site Rio and Heather. And senegals def know the right and exact moment to laugh or comment ours does too constantly.

Welcome Rio!! My Kippy does not talk much, the only word she says is "No" (when she wants a treat, ironically enough!) but she makes us laugh in many other ways! Rio looks so cute!

Heather were from NY, so were practically neighbors lol, and you ain't kidding it gets quite cold here too. We keep Zuzu clipped as well, he has his tips but his flight feathers are gone.[/QUOTE]

I live in Canada so winters get quite cold.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back