New to the box scene ( kind of)

JoshuaRow

Aug 3, 2013
Brooklyn, Ny
Parrots
Tucker- Goffins Cockatoo
Hello everyone one.
First let me explain the (kind of), my wife has a 25 year old Goffins Cockatoo, she got him when she was in 8th grade. I (we) are looking into getting another. The two at the top of my list are an Eclectus and am African Grey. We have a 2 1/2 year old little girl, who loves Tucker ( the bird), and is quickly learning the ropes of handling him. I have done my research on both, but reading about them is not the same as experience, or listening to someone who has experience. I guess the question is would you recommend one over the other? Oh and we live in an apartment in Brooklyn. Thank you for your advice, and if I have left anything out that would be of importance please let me know.

Thank you,
Joshua
P.s. "box"was supposed to be bird. Touch screens ;)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Joshua! Either birds are great to have so the choice is up to you guys to decide. Why don't you guys go meets them and see which one you guys prefer in person. I always let the bird choose me if I go out to pick a bird but I take in rescue and adoption birds so I don't have that choice now days but I enjoy what I do. And I am able to train them regardless, only one bird I wasn't able to train which was a Umbrella Cockatoo, I can train him to a certain extent but he was far too dangerous to be out with anyone. Good luck!

Thank you for the quick reply. I plan on finding some breeders and doing a meet and greet. Sorry to hear about the Umbrella Cockatoo.

Thanks!!! He's in a better home now, I still have my sweet angel Lesser Sulphur Crested Cockatoo....I helped a friend back in early spring to train his Grey that he got at that time. I was able to get him to step up within minutes of being there so I had to show him how it was done and all. I also have a pair of Solomon Island Eclectus, both are my sweet babies!!! Both types of birds are great to own so you can't go wrong either way. Both types are great talkers too!!! Good Luck! :)

Most Reactions

Back