New start

WideO

Aug 26, 2013
Meet the little birds. ;)

Very friendly, not shy at all, unfased by the dogs checking them out, eating and drinking normally.

Needless to say we are very happy with them...

day1_01.jpg

They are precious! I am so happy for you after all you have been through:) I may have missed it, but what did you name them?

They're super cute!!!!! Congrats on your new babies.... ;)

Thanks all! :)

We came up with the names Edith (Piaf - who was also called "bird" - little sparrow) and Oscar (Wilde, not sure what my wife was thinking there. ;) )

Edith already managed to get her wing stuck between the bars (how did she do that?), and later fell face first into the water bowl. It looked quite comical, but Oscar then duly cleaned/dried her head.

It's clear that compared to Ollie and Nadia - who were 4 months older - they are still quite clumsy. That doesn't surprise me, as - to my surprise - they are already the same size, so they must really be struggling to keep up with all that growing.

At first we thought they were quieter, but they quickly made up for that both in sound and running/flying around in the cage. Which is good, because we still tend to get worried when they don't make a sound for a couple of seconds...

Once again it amazes us how quickly they try to make contact with us - even though they have each other. They literally see *everything* that goes on around their cage, it's quite fascinating to observe.

They already allow us to pet their beaks and necks, accept food from us, and move to the side of the cage we stand. In a way, it feels like they are teaching us how and when to handle them. Fascinating critters.

In the mean time Edith managed to get stuck with her beak while standing on a toy ladder. Don't ask me how she managed. :rolleyes:

The curious thing was that my dog was the first to react to the distress signal. I heard it a second after she did, the tone of the normal noises had changed. We were in another room, and the dog ran over, looking back to see if I would follow.

How can a dog know after only 2 days which sounds are "normal" and which are "alarm". I'm not imagining it - for that I know her too well. So clever...

It's pretty clear they can get in all kinds of trouble, even with so called safe cage and toys. Supervision seems to be key here... :11:

Again, it shows how much we have to learn. The bird didn't fall into the water bowl. They are dunking their heads into it.

We place a larger bowl at the bottom with 0.5 cm of water in it, and they immediately jumped at it and started washing themselves. :)

After a few minutes they were done having fun, and we removed it again for safety.

Attachments

• bath.jpg
    bath.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 98

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back