New Senegal roughly 2-3 years old

Loyal

Jul 22, 2012
Hello all. I've been stalking the forum long enough and decided to join. Lol. I've recently acquired a Senegal parrot from my dad. Long story short, an associate of his got the bird, hated the bird and pushed it off on my dad because my dad has plenty of birds. Well he has primarily a wide variety of finches and rosellas. The Senegal was aggressive towards the other birds so she had to remain in her cage most of the time by herself. My dad didn't interact with her, he didn't want her and none of his other birds are "pets" they live in their own little flocks.

Now that I have the Senegal, she's coming around. She allows you to hand her food and she isn't too cage aggressive. She slightly understands the word no and will stop what she's doing if told no, as long as she feels like stopping.lol. She's fairly good at stepping up on command as well. My questions are:
1) how do I get her to take a bathe? she doesn't like to be misted or put in the tub with water or the sink. She doesn't like me enough to get in the shower with me. ;)
2) how do I know when prinning is turning into plucking?

Lastly, I'm looking to get her a cage top gym, any one know of any good ones? My husband isn't keen on the idea of her having a stand alone play stand as of yet. She doesn't like my husband, she will take food from him, but then she'll throw it down.

Thank you all for your help.

My Bogart don't like bath time either but I put hm on a shower perch (petco) and he goes to the wall side and closes his eyes and I swear he saying (Make it stop ) but he sits there until he is wet thru and then he goes to the Play gym to sit and preen. Here is a Zon on the shower perch it was her first time. Shower time video by Friedsoup - Photobucket when their feathers start looking ragged or missing but remember birds spend 60% of their day preening.

Baxter LOVES to bathe in his water bowl. I provide a tub hoping he will use it instead of his drinking water, but he uses that tub for a quick drink or to dip food in. He loves to dip one leg in, then the other, then puts his head under, then flops his belly down on it. He clearly doesn't fit, but thinks that is the BEST bath :)
One thing he also enjoys is me dripping my fingers in that tub of water and flicking water at him. Maybe that would be more fun for your little one vs a spray bottle?

Laura

Kito hates showers, but once a week she'll bath on her own in her large water bowl. As for the plucking, you'll know when you pet her and you find bald spots. If she's just molting, the feather loss will be dispersed fairly evenly.

she's still a bit timid so petting is currently out of the question. She doens't like hands anywhere near her. Today is actually the first day she's sat on my shoulder, lol, and she's only tried to bite my ear once.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back