new owner

timmytim

Dec 12, 2012
Media
So, here's the deal. I am now the owner of a new sun conure. He came to me from a home where he didnt get much attention or time out his cage. I bought him with the hopes of him loving me n cuddling w me. Well, i dont think he even likes me at all. I dont know how much or how long a bird can hold a grudge. I think he either remembers that I reached in his cage to transfer him to a travel cage when taking him home. He chewed my fingers till I bleed. Gave him time to adjust then took him to the vet and he chewed all over my hands. He rings the crap out of his bells when I come around. Nervous or playing? So many questions... I am new to conures, had love birds before. The vet said his tags say he's 5 yrs old. What do I do to make him love me? Worst part of it all is he loves my son. Steps up for him, hangs out w him n kisses him :( I just want him to love me instead of my son :(:rainbow1:

He could be hormonal! And you can't make them love you, unfortunately. Give him time, feed him through the cage bars little treats, I used cheerios and rice krispies for my conure because she was the same way when I adopted her. He just needs to be socialized and it can take time for him to get over those bad memories.

Worst part of it all is he loves my son. Steps up for him, hangs out w him n kisses him :( I just want him to love me instead of my son :(

I must admit that I think it's the best part (that he loves your son)... At least he's capable of bonding with people..

How old is your son? Please don't begrudge the bond they have... They might both need it.... and it sounds to me you need something like that as well...:(

You can't force a bird to love you, so maybe you could let this one be your son's, and get another one for yourself... One that chooses you...

It could be that the bird associates you with his previous owner. I don't think it would hold a grudge for more than a few days...

I think it is great news that the bird loves your son!! It could be just that he hasn't picked you as his special person. Try not to take it personally because birds just do that. Our Quaker--whom I adore--loves, loves, loves my son. Since our Quaker ditches me like yesterday's news when my son is around, we got another bird for me. I searched until I found a bird who took to me. If you can do this, I would suggest the same for you because it sounds like you really want a bird and are missing the connection.

Keep trying with your current bird because it probably will come round to liking you--might not ever be "loving" you, but that might have to just be ok. Give plenty of treats and praise and try not to give it opportunity to bite you. Go slowly and maybe it will learn to like you too.

One thing you got to consider, Bird are like TWO year olds. They are smart creatures and they can remember things.

When I had bought my bird (My Pineapple Conure), I had to leave him at the pet shop for a month and a half before bringing him home. Every time my wife went to go see him he would be excited that we came and fully remember who we are.

I am trying to socialize my bird more and they can learn to like a lot more people than just one. They will bond with one person, but can be loving towards more people. My wife and I so far have a bound with our conure.

Also don't have to say this twice, be prepared to be bite. Conures will nip and all birds will bite regardless of the bound. Eventually your son will do something that might freak the bird out and he will get Bite. It's just the way things are when owning a bird. So I hope you and your son can learn to forgive because you both are truly dealing with a two year old.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back