New older bird

Littlebird2

Aug 1, 2013
Media
Arizona and Alaska
Parrots
Male eclectus 17
Female ???? Cockatiel 1

Hi! I have adopted a 17 year old male eclectus parrot. He has damaged himself pretty badly and is mostly downy. In addition, he has a dislocated wing which will not stay put if it is popped back in. He is currently staying at the rescue where I got him until I return to town. He may not be the prettiest bird on the planet, but he has a ton of personality! I took him off pellets and on fresh fruits and veggies. I also give him avi calm, a natural supplement that calms him down and helps with the plucking. His feathers are starting to grow in but if they don't all come back, it's ok.
I also have a pied female cockatiel. Demanding little thing. Got her before I knew about rescues.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 375
Great job on the rescue! May I ask why you took him off pellets completely? Are you supplementing with vitamins?

Vitamin supplementing is actually doing more harm then good on Eclectus parrots! They do not do well on pellets because of all the additive they put in them. They do best with fresh foods! It cause health issues in Eclectus parrots such as toe tapping and wing flipping.

Thank you Mikey! I have heard of other doing the same thing and had not had the chance to ask about it.

They do however make a pellet specifically for Eclectus now days but I'm still not going to try it and stay with my fresh food for them as they're doing great on it!

Shelly, most people don't know about that part but I knew about it for a very long time and that's what held me back getting them in the first place, but it really isn't complicated feeding them. They just make one heck of a mess....lol....

Littlebird2, It's a wonderful thing you did to take in such a precious angel, isn't he great? I LOVE my ekkies as they make me laugh all the time, mine just made funny noises and he still is making them....They're super smart funny birds!!!!

Hi! I have adopted a 17 year old male eclectus parrot. He has damaged himself pretty badly and is mostly downy. In addition, he has a dislocated wing which will not stay put if it is popped back in. He is currently staying at the rescue where I got him until I return to town. He may not be the prettiest bird on the planet, but he has a ton of personality! I took him off pellets and on fresh fruits and veggies. I also give him avi calm, a natural supplement that calms him down and helps with the plucking. His feathers are starting to grow in but if they don't all come back, it's ok.
I also have a pied female cockatiel. Demanding little thing. Got her before I knew about rescues.

Welcome to the forum, and THANK YOU for giving this angel a chance at happiness. :)

Kudos to you for giving him fresh fruits and veggies.

Can't wait to hear of your adventures together and to get to know your cockatiel as well. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back