New Mom

Hermes

May 17, 2011
CT
Parrots
A green cheek conure
I just got my green cheek conure yesterday. I have feed him and introduced him to his play area and new home. Then I kind of left him on his own, but Im worried I might be doing something wrong. When ever I go to the cage to see if he would like to come out or interact with him, he will run off to his happy hut. Do I just need to give him more time? This is his first time being away from mom and dad and his siblings. If anyone has any advice for me, I would love to hear it ^_^:rainbow1:

Hi and welcome to our wonderful forum
This is the info I always give members who have acquired a new bird

[FONT=&quot]Top on your list, a visit to an avian vet is a must. Let the bird be checked over, peace of mind for a healthy bird.
Your bird must have time to settle down and adjust. Just imagine how many new things the bird has encountered, in a short space of time. So many new faces and voices, it must be so scary.
To gain your trust could take days, weeks, months even years. Each and every bird is so different. He obviously feels a comfort zone is his cage.
Sit near the cage, talking and singing to the bird. Let him become familiar with your voice. Leaving the cage door open, offer him treats through the bars at first. When he willingly accepts them, try placing a treat near the open door. Eventually he will starts taking the treats from the door, make no attempt to touch him. When he does come out, he will probably climb around on the cage. Let him explore in his own time. To get him back in, place a treat inside the cage, making sure it's visible.

Take it one day at time, patience and perseverance always go a long way

[/FONT]

Most Reactions

Back