New member with a few questions

jpm_kiki

Apr 6, 2015
canada
Parrots
Yellow sided conure
hi there, I just took home a nice yellow sided conure (2 days ago) that we picked up from a local breeder, she is very affectionate but I have a few questions for you guys, hope you can help :).. First thing i want to say is that I have no problem taking her out of her cage, but when ever I open the top for her to play she jump (kinda fly) on us or near...Is that a normal behavior, what can I do to stop this...I like her on me but I also what some alone time...the cage is setup in the living room wich can be quite busy with my 2 kids. 2nd question would be if I need to go see a vet for testing desease?? should I wash my hand after every encounter? Also, the breeder gave me some food but I dont know what is the mixture nor when or how should I feed her...I have 2 large bowls inside the cage, one fresh water and the other I think is pellets, should I fill it right up and she will take when ever needed?? The breeder also told me to have a mixture of dry fuits with seeds when ever she's outside her cage is that ok? So far It has been wonderful, she is not screaming at night or early morning, I do cover 3 side of her cage at night!! She is a little nippy (tries to bite my ears when on shoulder) , but I got told to grap her and put her down when this happens. Hope U guys can help me with my little baby!! My first time owning a bird!!

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your new baby!
I'm a huge fan of green cheeks (and their mutations), in fact, I have two of my own!

The jumping on you might be a result of her just being so affectionate and comfortable with people. My guys are super bonded to me and jump on me if I accidentally get too close to them. Another possibility is that she's a bit scared because of all of the hustle and bustle in the room where he cage is. She may be running to you for safety and comfort, especially if she hides in your clothing or hair as soon as she jumps on you.

I would recommend getting her in to see an avian vet as soon as possible. It's good to get her established with one early on, and of course to make sure she's healthy! Birds hide any illness or injury very well. Most avian illnesses aren't transferable to us (and vice versa), but I'd wash my hands before and handling her until she's been with you and healthy for a while.

Birds will go back and forth and eat when they're hungry, and eat until they're no longer hungry. Most will eat small amounts, often. Mine will eat their breakfast for about three minutes before taking a "much needed" break to nap after all of that hard work of eating the food I prepared for them haha

I wouldn't feed fruit super often (or at least not a lot of it). There is a lot of sugar in fruit, even dried! Vegetables are much better for them, and should be a regular part of their diet if possible.
Everyone does things a little different for their birds, but I personally feed them chop or another prepared food in the morning, then have them forage for their seed mix, then give them pellets later in the day. I give them fresh fruit and veggies randomly throughout the day when I have them on hand.

I do just want to say that the nipping and biting will fluctuate as she grows and matures. Be prepared to possibly deal with a little monster for a few months as she gets older. Even when they're very well behaved and sweet and loving, conures are still very nippy by nature. The best thing to do is called "pressure training". You teach the bird what's an acceptable amount of pressure to use without hurting you. This way, they can still nibble, but you're not constantly being torn open.

Hello, If content parrots rarely scream. Most parrots are omniverous like ourselves and can utilize most of the foods we do. If you force them to live in a cage definitely provide a pellet diet with all their essential ingredients. If they fly freely just set the rules and share your food as well. They especially like chees chicken and ground beef. D.D.

Welcome and congratulations! It sounds like you have a very friendly birdie! You can try putting something for her to nibble on where you want her to stay and trying not to get close enough for her to jump on you. That may help her learn to enjoy playing there by herself. If you're not sure what the food is that the breeder gave you, I would suggest you call and ask just so you can know. Switching diets can be tough so it's good to know what to buy! We would love to see some pics, and congrats once more!

That's awesome your conure comes to you so soon. We got 2 from a woman who took care of birds, but lost her job there so had to sell them. They hung out in the corner of the cage for a week, then got familiar with the cage...then let us handle them a little bit.

My wife got them for her... But they bonded to me. Its been over a year and a half (they're almost 2 years old) and I'm super attached to them. I've learned their behaviors and habits. I know what they're"saying" by their noises and body language, they have certain pressures when they bite to let you know their own boundaries. Its an outstanding feeling when something that doesn't just trust anybody trusts and cares for you enough to tell you with a gentle nip they don't want picked up, instead of just biting you lol.

I could go on, but take great pride in earning this conjures trust and that it looks to you for safety. I consider my birds family, and treat them as such. They live a long time and can be very complicated and emotional just like we are. I appreciate the give and take relationship they've given me.

I've gone on a tangent... Anyway... If your conure is gonna be on you...start carrying tissue .. ;)

Also if you haven't... Do research on household cleaners and just general items that are harmful to your bird... It might seem like nothing to you..but could be a real danger to them...

Good luck!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back