New Macaw owners

jandc

Mar 26, 2013
My wife and I recently became the proud adopted parents to a pair of green wing macaws. The boy (Clyde) is the sweetest bird, very friendly and gentle with an awesome personality. The girl (Bonnie) on the other hand seems to be in pretty rough shape. First off they were in breeder cages, and she doesn't seem to be keen on that idea. She's been plucked clean except for some wing and tail feathers (both by herself and from him). They have a very strong bond, he will panic if he loses sight of her, and she is very jealous and possessive.

I've read varying answers as to whether or not she can recover being bonded to another bird, and we know it will take some time if it happens at all. She does seem to have some desire to be handled, she'll lift one leg if I approach her with my arm, but when I get too close she yells at me. She's also lunged at both of us.

Does anyone have any experience with macaws in a similar situation?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.:) I don't have any experience with bonded macaws. What I have read about any bonded parrots is most likely they will never form a strong bond with the humans in their lives since they have each other.

If they are already a bonded pair, I would think it would be hard on them to separate. So, my thinking is that at least the female may never accept much interaction with you.

Sorry I can't help you more than that. There are folks who do know more about keeping pairs. Good luck with them, GWs are my favorite. They are so gorgeous! :red1:

Welcome to the forum! Sorry I am not experienced with pairs to be able to help.

Even though they're bonded, it does not mean they will never accept human interaction. It all depends on the birds themselves, but you do need to be patient and take your time to get them to trust you. Macaws will try to trick you by doing what you described, they will show they have interest and then bam they get you if you get too close. Try to perch train them to go onto a play stand where it would be a lot easier to train. It is a possible task, not impossible. Where you can get them to step up onto perches, you would be less stressed about being bit and less stress on the bird about not wanting a hand to touch them.

As mikey said with patience and a lot of time they will accept you as kind of a erm.. Third wheel lol! They will start to visit yo over time and maybe even allow handling. Bonded pairs can be great as they entertain themselves and then if they allow you to interact they can be great towards you as well. Our ekkies are bonded and they accept us into the life's once we worked with them and now they are both great towards us just took some time:).

Thanks all! We're going to try a perch, I know she freaked out when the breeder went for her with a broom stick, but a smaller play stand may be just what she needs! The boy already allows me to handle him as long as he can still keep an eye on his girl. At least Bonnie takes treats from us 90% of the time

Most Reactions

Back