new jenday conure

dakotab619

Mar 3, 2013
NC
Parrots
i have 2 love birds
hey I just got a new jenday conure the other day he is 5 months old I named him oli I was wanting to know what kind of fruits and vegetables are ok for me to feed him I know the person I got him from was giving him apples and grapes what else is good for them ?

My bird loves broccoli. It is very good for them and my bird eats it like crazy. A lot of birds like pomegranates also. You can feed them all kinds of fruits.

-Just remember to not feed birds avacados, they are extremely toxic to them.

-Excessive amounts of Cooked and Raw Onions can be toxic to your bird.

-Apple seeds contain Cyanide and are toxic. Apples aren't toxic, just the seeds, so be sure to remove them before feeding to your parrot.

-Mushrooms have the potential of being toxic.

Good luck with your conure and happy holidays! :emoticonc:

Lots! Avocado is a big no no but almost anything else! Broccoli, corn, kale, capsicum, chillis, beans, peas, carrots, pumpkin, paw paw, mango, pomegranate, banana, citrus the list goes on and on! If you are unsure or something have a Google =)

Sylvarie will eat just about anything if he is in the mood for it but most is my toast crust hit and run and bananas, oranges, and just about anything he can get in his beak, just never leave your plate unattended they like to raid.

No fruit pits at all, no apple seeds, no peach pits, no apriocot pits, no cherry pits, none of those, they are all poison to birds. Do give it sweet potato or yams, and carrots, as they are very high in vitamin A which is a requirement for birds and one of the most frequenly seen as a deficiency, green leafs, like kale, mustard greens, romaine lettuce (not iceberg - it's nearly a zero for vitamins). Any vegetable you eat save some for your bird, minus the salt and butter. If your bird likes any dried fruits, it will probably like them fresh as well, so try mango, blueberries, and many birds LOVE peppers, seeds and all, even HOT SPICY ONES. Good lord I could go on and on in this topic lol

It is also important to note that many raw, uncooked beans can be poisonous to birds, but after they are cooked they are healthy and good for them, so don't feed your bird raw beans or just soaked - they must be cooked.

Another thing many birds LOVE is soaked seeds - put some seeds in water over night and they swell up and plump, and their chemistry changes and they are even more healthy for your bird. Seed sprouts are fantastic for your birds, like alfalfa sprouts, wheat sprouts, etc., outstanding and healthy.

And it sure woudn't hurt to buy a bag of frozen mixed vegetables (or Fruit!!) at the supermarket (make sure no sugar or salt added) and put some in a dish - they thaw quickly, and are very healthy.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Back