New GCC owner, new to site.

Lambert

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure- Echo.
Well just wanted to introduce myself to the forum, as I just recently bought a GCC baby from a breeder and wanted to be on a forum and get as much help as I can. My GCC name is Echo, I chose a neutral name because I don't know if its male or female. He seems to really like me as he always chirps when I'm home and jumps around the cage until I open the latch, and when I do he jumps towards me and begs me to put him on my finger. I already taught him how to climb up to my finger by saying "Up" and I am now trying to teach him to hang upside down, and it seems as if it's learning, slowly. I already started putting him on a rainbow pellet diet and feeding him vegetables, fruits, and today some chicken. Lol. One question that I have is that once I am home he won't stop chirping, it sounds like a squeak though is this normal? I handle him and he continues to do it. Last time I took him outside and he stopped doing it but indoors he does it. Oh I forgot to mention that I am hand feeding it but it does eat pellets and food on its own. I know this thread is useless without pictures so here you go.
2011-04-17_12-30-25_636.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!!! Is Echo still a baby? Since your still handfeeding...

Yeah it's still a baby but it's eating on his own. I only hand feed it twice a day. The breeder told me to only feed it twice a day until it refuses to take anymore food from me and starts eating all on its own.

If Echo is eating on his own right now, it's fine to cut the formula down to once a day. Then wean him off eventually. Sometimes they would rely on you to keep on handfeeding.

My sun did the same thing. The squeak was almost all the time but he ate on his own too. I didnt hand feed him and its been a few weeks. He no longer does the squeak unless I'm giving him a really good scratch! :D

My baby sun is about 3 3/4ths months old now. Such a great joy :)

Welcome to the forum! Echo is suh a cute name! My GCC Rio, chirps and jumps around when I come home too, he wants to be out with me! :) If I take too long getting to let him out, his requests to be out with mom escalate in volume. lol. I think he has figured out though, that he will only get out if he asks in a reasonable decible!

Little baby bird noises are common. GCC are so cute. I have a friend with one and it is a very quiet bird. Love the name Echo. We are all here to help if you have any questions. Remember, an avain vet visit is in order when he settles in for a baseline checkup. Have with Echo.

Well when I give him pellets he sure does take them and crunches down on them. Should I just feed him in the morning before I leave and when I get home just give him pellets? I don't want him to starve.

He should have fresh pellets in his cage all day and evening. I remove all food from the cage in the pm. Offer fresh foods and vegies, grains, brown or wild rice and legumes. There are many internet sites to learn about good nutrition for birds.

D'oh! What had happened was that he wasn't eating on his own because the pellets were too hard for him. I crushed them all up right now and he is eating from his bowl. I'm so happy he's eating on his own. I am going to schedule a visit to an avian vet just to get it checked up.:cool:

Most Reactions

Back