New disabled ringneck

cindys6436

Oct 19, 2012
Hi - I have just acquired and Indian Ringneck. I have never had this breed before. I currently lave a bunch of linnies, two caiques, and a foster (but probably permanent) Senegal.

I had had no plans to get another bird but we have a local bird store we frequent. They often have rescue birds along with the birds they breed for sale. This time when we went in, there was a little IRN for adoption. Her story is that a year ago, she was thrown from a moving car and an animal control officer saw it happen. She picked up the bird (said she had a choice to go after the person that threw her out or save the bird, and she chose the bird). The bird (named Easter Egg, but we have re-named her Meg) ended up having to have her foot amputated. Since I had my lower leg amputated last year, I was drawn to her. We frequent this shop often and my boyfriend recently adopted a cockatoo from them, so the owners know us well and offered to give Meg to me. I couldn't refuse, and she is home with me now.

She was adopted and given back to the store owners because her new owner has cancer. I don't know how she was at that home, but she is very skittish and bit my boyfriend hard when he put his finger through her cage bars at the store (duh). The store owner gets her out of her cage with a towel, and she does calm down when she's held in the towel but I'm not going to use a towel to get her out because it really freaks her out. Right now I'm just giving her time to adjust to her new home. She seems to like being talked to and she's a good eater.

Does anyone know anything about special needs for a bird missing a foot? She gets around well but obviously has some difficulties. I have a rope perch low in her cage but she does climb around the cage all over.

She was also completely bald when she was rescued but has fuzzy feathers all over now. I think she's adorable.

Attachments

• Meg 11-16-13.jpg
    Meg 11-16-13.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 473
Wow. I don't get how anyone could just throw a living being from a car like that.. That's awful. How amazing you crossed paths with her! I'm sure she'll have a great life with you. :)
I'm sorry I don't have any tips about her special needs, but I'm sure someone else will help you out. :)

Oh, and she IS crazy adorable! Way too cute! :D
By the way, I also have a female IRN named Meg. It's totally the best IRN name, right? ;)

Does she have a leg, but no foot? Just want to confirm. I'd Imagine the missing foot isn't going to render her too much so long as she has a leg.

She's VERY cute! I'd just give her time. My IRN was very bitey and cage aggressive at first, but she learned that OUTSIDE the cage is also pretty fun, so she learned that biting me resulted in no outside time.
Best of luck :)

I used to have a bird that I had to have her foot amputated. She did fine, flew around the aviary like nothing happened. If you can offer a platform area to get onto if she needs to rest without standing up on the only foot she's got it would be quite helpful. The taming part is just gonna take time.

Little Meg is gorgeous! It'll probably take a lot of patience, but I reckon she'll be well worth the effort you put into her. Just look at her beautiful face: she's longing to be a star! When my birds were young and a bit too beaky, I spent a lot of time just sitting quietly with them on my arms and shamelessly feeding them nice things from my hands. It works best when you're alone and in a quiet room (turn off the TV and radio etc). Sit as still as you can and speak in a soft, low-pitched voice as you chat with her. The aim is to show her that sitting on your arm is a safe, peaceful, happy place.

If she doesn't do 'step up' yet, then check out Barbara Heidenreich's YouTube video on 'Step Up'. She has a lovely calm way of teaching that I think would suit your Meg well, considering her violent past. Best of luck with Meg! My Beaks send her their best regards and cheerful squawks. :)

Aww, Meg is precious and it's awesome that you are giving her a home. I have 2 finches who are missing a foot on one and the whole leg on the other, and it took them awhile to acclimate. They are doing fine now, and they do use the corner platform we put in the cage sometimes to rest. Good luck!

Thanks everyone! I'm going to get some platform perches for her. As far as getting her more tame, I have no problem being patient. I am fostering a Senegal who would lunge at me every time I got near her - it took a month of me doing nothing more than talking and singing to her at every opportunity and not pressuring her to do anything she wasn't comfortable with. Now she wants nothing more than for me to give her head scritches 24/7 and she stops up well.

I will be patient with Meg too. I'm not sure if she can step up - I imagine she will have to hop or use her beak to help. I will just sit by her cage with the door open and see if she eventually gets curious enough to come over adn check me out.

Mitchan. it really is hard to believe someone would throw a bird out of a moving car. I just don't understand why they didn't give her to a rescue or something. Since she was completely plucked, it must have been an awful home all the way around. I wouldn't say all plucked birds come from awful homes, but seeing as how they threw her out of the car, I feel pretty safe in saying it was an awful home. Very cool that you have an IRN named Meg :) We didn't like Easter Egg but wanted something she might still recognize.

Cindy

I have a question - sometimes when I'm talking to Meg she will turn her head upside down and make pleasant little noises. Does this mean anything? My Senegal used to do it whenever I talked to her, like she was listening intently. It seems like this is what Meg is doing too but I'm not sure. My Senegal still does it sometimes but it's more asking for head scritches without the really intent expression. Is this behavior common in IRNs?

My IRN does it sometimes, though she doesn't make cute noises (she does, just not accompanied with the expression).
However when she does it I feel like she's looking at me like 'Wow... Humans really ARE stupid' Lol!

She's so cute! That she's startling to feather up immediately is a good sign :) good to hear she finally made it to a safe place. I would just get her to earn your trust without the towels, breaking all associations with that store and the past. Parrots do the twisty-head thing when they're very relaxed...she probably used to scratch her neck with the other foot while she does that-when she had another foot...but now she has you :)

My peach faced lovebird used to turn his head upside and cluck at me. I sure wish i know 'bird.' As for the ringnecks foot my guess is that the bird will adjust and not even realize it is handicapped. The rope perch sounds like a good idea, and I also think that her cage should have horizontal bars on it, that woudl give her a far more superior grip than vertical bars. I have had handcapped animals before and it's amazing how they adapt. One was a blind Boston Terrier, Annie, and she just learned her way around and did so well. I also had a rabbit with only 3 legs, and he simply adjusted and acted like a normal 4 legged rabbit. I think maybe the best way of setting up her cage is to think of her as a more elderly bird that may have some problems moving around. Good luck with her Cindy.

Awww you got her??
I seen her in there the other day, the ladies were telling me her terrible story... sickening to say the least

She just seemed like she is beyond my beginner capabilities...

I wish you lots of luck with her, hopefully she recognizes a friend that helps her, and is a great bird for you :)

Last edited:
I can't even begin to understand how someone could throw an animal, bird, or ANY living creature, out a window like trash. There has to be a special place in Hell reserved for people who harm them....
:(

I am happy for her though, that the right person just happened to witness the senseless act and save her, so that you could come into her life :D

Thanks you everyone - I've been so busy but appreciate all the responses. The shallow dishes was a great suggestion - it should have been obvious but she had some pretty deep dishes - she still does actually, but I have filled them almost to the top with pellets and then put other foods on top for her. She's doing well and I am waiting for some flat perches.

Thanks again for the responses!

Hey Cindy, I have some interesting information about this ringneck that you should hear, you may find it fairly disconcerting...

I hope the bird is doing well with you :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back