new conure coming home

sunblaze

Jul 10, 2014
Brecon Beacons National Park (Wales)
Parrots
Merlin - Sun Conure
Albus - Blue Crown Conure
Hey guys, can i just start by saying that i am an experienced handler, i've had birds my whole life, well most of it i haven't owned one for about 5 years now and i have decided the time is finally right to get one again. The bird that i've chosen is one I've been a long time admirer of the beautiful sun conure, now i already knew a lot about the breed having nearly bought one a few times but even so i have been in full research mode every evening trying to gather as much information as possible and now it is time to test that knowledge, i placed a deposit on my new baby the other day she is still being hand reared and won't be ready for another 3 weeks so in the meantime i have been preparing her new home and preparing my life for the sudden change. i think i'm ready for my new bundle of screams =) but even so i wanted to see if there was anything i had missed or any last bits of advice people had, i will go into detail on what i have done so far.

The Cage: i have bought the biggest cage i could afford which is pretty big, (measurements below) it's more than the recommended size for a conure, is made from a non toxic alloy that is safe for birds, the bar spacing isn't too wide and it has a removable shelf to help keep it clean.
measurements: H160cm W100cm D75cm bar spacing 1.5cm

Diet: i intend on feeding her a mixture of pellets and whatever food her current carers have her on eventually weaning her onto pellets, these will be accompanied by plenty of fresh greens, mainly vegetables though i have bought a hanging skewer to hang pierced fruit off as a an extra to her pellets and vegetables, broccili and green beans etc are good sources of vitamin k which is needed in a conure diet to prevent CBS. I have a cuttlebone for that extra bit of calcium and some omega fish oils to be fed bi weekly. my chinchilla isnt allowed to drink tap water so i got him a filter jug, i'm not sure if tap water is harmful to birds so she'll be having filtered too just to be on the safe side.

Toys!!! =) ok now i understand how important lots of toys are, without overcrowding her cage obviously, also how important it is to rotate and add new toys to keep stimulation going especially when me and my partner are in work. I have purchased an array of shredding, foraging, gnawing, climbing and puzzle toys to keep her happy when we're not around, she also has a bird bath, mister bottle, dab digital radio, a selection of different sized perches so that all areas of her feet are exercised ... the list goes on... and on

Routine: now this is where i differ from most bird owners, i am not a big fan of routines as a disrupt in a well established routine can be very stressful for a bird that's had consistency it's whole life while a bird that has never been bound to a strict schedule is better adapted to change and less effected by this, now of course everyone is entitled to raise their birds however they see fit and for some the routine works but for me sadly it would not, my job is shift work that can range between 4am starts to 4am finishes within the same week, i have however had my hours reduced lately so that i am only working 3 days a week and my partner does 2 24 hour sleep ins a week, so the only time the bird would truly have a long day to itself would be on the occasion we are both working the same day usually no more than 2-3 times a month max. i will try to keep to a loose schedule such as breakfast and bath in the morning and out of cage time before and after work, i have a bird blanket for making sure she gets enough sleep i know conures especially young ones need between 10 and 12 hours a night.

Safety: i have spent most of this week trying to bird proof my living room and bedroom, the 2 main rooms the bird will be spending time in, removing hazardous objects, tidying cables away, covering power points, i have even had 2 small aviary panels made that can be locked onto my living room windows so that we can still have the windows open when the bird is out of her cage, one point i would like some advice on is wing clipping?? i have never done it before but am considering having it done just the once while she is still getting used to me and the initial bond is being made, advice welcomed.

anyway that's a brief rundown of what i've been doing to prepare my new birds arrival, as i said earlier i have really done my homework so please no need for comments about the birds noise level or common characteristics though any personal experiences you've had with your own conures are very much welcome. happy thursday =D x

Sounds like you are really ready...a lot more ready than most, that's for certain.

I had a sun, and though her screams were piercing, I never really found her to be all that loud. The Nanday on the other hand...wow.

Just make sure to post pictures once she comes home. :)

thank you, it's always good to hear your doing the right thing, you know what it's like though your not sure you have everything you need untill you don't have something you need... be it a dietary supplement or even just a bit of advice on noise management =)

i totally agree with you on the routine thing.
my mother used to let her birds out the moment she gor home,but after changing her job she wanted to drink a cup of coffee after a busy day,and there it went wrong,they would scream their loudest until she would let them out,took her almost half a year to break through it.
so i made sure to let my bird lose when i want it and with different times,and they know it,so they won't scream for it,trough it doesn't stop the puppy eyes lol.
but you are probably one of the most prepared parront to be.

Sounds like you have a handle on it. Definitely more research than I did when I got my Sun and I thought I did some good research lol. I can understand about the routine. Ducati isn't really on a set routine. It kind of depends on his mood. He used to scream as soon as I opened the door so his cage got opened then (plus I was excited to see him and wanted him to be with me after a long day). It took a couple of days but he grew out of it.

Favorite Ducati stories would be catching him flirting with himself in his mirror. He gets all fluffy and chirps and rocks back and forth to see himself up close and further away. Next would be his dancing. Still haven't gotten video of it but it's hilarious.

Mrs.k - i've had a few thoughts on names i like Sookie for a girl and Horus for a boy, the tricky thing is that there isn't any difference between the male and female sun conure so i will actually have to decide on it's sex before i name it... never had to do that for a pet before =)

Hacatta - glad you agree on the routine, i found it was easier when i was still in school as i had a solid routine myself but with shift patterns it can be difficult, better to have no routine than to keep breaking an existing one =)

Ducatimom - sounds like you have one hell of a character on your hands, i really can't wait these are going to be the longest 3 weeks of my life =)

Soooo exited for you! My sun is now 7 he is my first ever parrot and I could not ask for a more loving adorable pet! I agree on the routine thing mine goes with the flow and I've never had any issues. Mine happens to hate spray bottles and the sink for a wash but he loves to come in the shower with me! :orange:

Welcome : ) it sounds like you're well prepared, which is a great thing to hear!
I don't have conures, but the Suns are absolutely gorgeous birds!

Most Reactions

Back