New Article: Cape Parrot Threatened by Disease

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,

Please check out: World’s Rarest Parrot Threatened by Disease

The problems afflicting the African Gray Parrot have been very much in the news recently (please see video below), and some important conservation efforts have been initiated. Less well-known, however, is the desperate situation facing the Cape Parrot, Poicephalus robustus. With a wild population hovering at approximately 800 individuals, this relative of the Senegal and Meyer’s Parrot is Africa’s rarest Psittacine, and the most threatened bird in South Africa. Read article here:
The Cape Parrot - Africa

Comments and questions appreciated,

Thanks, Frank
http://twitter.com/#!/findiviglio
Frank Indiviglio | Facebook
[FONT=&quot]Bio: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog[/FONT]

As always, an informative post!!! Thanks again Frank!

The video saddens me though, the one with National Geographic....

That was very interesting. Thank you for sharing that as well as the other information on your website!

Thank you for posting that. So I read it, but then I scrolled down and watched the video about the Grays :( Heart breaking. Seeing stuff like that makes me feel, that though I love my M2, that no parrots should be allowed in captivity (I would much rather have her in the wild but unfortunately for her humans took that away from her and because of that it isn't feesable for her to live life as it should be). I understand that there are responsible breeders but that is only in a handful of developed countries, world wide its an epidemic. Where there is a demand for a pet trade - of any kind - that animal is the one that suffers the most.

Thank you for posting that. So I read it, but then I scrolled down and watched the video about the Grays :( Heart breaking. Seeing stuff like that makes me feel, that though I love my M2, that no parrots should be allowed in captivity (I would much rather have her in the wild but unfortunately for her humans took that away from her and because of that it isn't feesable for her to live life as it should be). I understand that there are responsible breeders but that is only in a handful of developed countries, world wide its an epidemic. Where there is a demand for a pet trade - of any kind - that animal is the one that suffers the most.

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, very distressing....situation improves in one area, only to crop up in another. Recently I've had several reports from India...I'll cover in an article soon. The pet question is fraught with difficulties...what we've learned has been of great help in breeding several rare species, but many people are not properly prepared or funded; even in zoos., they are quite a handful. Unfortunately, zoos cannot do all that is needed for the thousands of species in need of assistance,. Thx for your concern, Frank

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back